T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I need to print an eight ball, as well as black text, on red shirts. My concern is with the white circle around the "8" on the ball. Should I print everything in black, then print the white over the black, or should I print everything white, then black?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I guess the true answer is "whatever works best". It is normal, when printing on dark shirts with plastisol, to lay a white undercoat under everything you plan on printing then to come back and print other colors (everything non-white) on top of the white.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
The rule of thumb is you print the black last. On a red shirt with white and black no under is needed but be sure the shirts are 100% cotton as poly will turn the red pink if the correct ink isn't used. John

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Harm,
A technique we have used for more and more prints with shadows and high lights is to print the black first direct onto the fabric, then the white base and then the colours and finally the high white. For this print you could separate the black out, print the black first, then an undercoat white for the white around the 8, flash, then the 2nd white or as we call it the hi white. The effect this produces is the darks (shadows) give the illusion they are more in the background and the highlights are more in the foreground. As an added step to this so the black part of the ball is shiny, you could use a course mesh for the black & flash it as well before you print the white undercoat. I hope that makes sense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts