T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an order for black hoodies and they want army color green printed on it....not the problem. They want the same color printed on a 100%black polyester jacket that they will be providing. I've never printed on polyester and I'm wondering any info I may need. Can I use an additive to the plastisol green I use on the hoodies? will I need to print a white base? what would be the cure time? I also have no idea on how to price this because I have never printed polyester nor has anyone provided the garment for me before. Any ideas? It's for my boss'

· Registered
873 Posts
i think being black and that kind of green, you shouldn't have a problem. if it has any dye-migration, it will just be a little darker green. i wouldn't underbase it, just print, flash, print for both types.

· Registered
74 Posts
There's two challenges here: Polyester dyes bleed and jackets are a pain in the *** to load

The dyes in poly garments tend to "migrate" through regular plastisols and change their color. Anytime you're printing a colored garment with polyester in it you should be concerned about dye migration. Not just 100% poly, but blends too. Your hoodies probably have poly in them - most do. Some inks contain dye blocking agents - I use the perm series from qcm (PERMAWHITE) on colored poly garments and it works like a charm. Put it down as an underbase, flash until dry to the touch, then lay that army green over it and you can be sure that the print won't change color on you.

Jackets are a pain because they're almost always made as a shell and a liner that aren't fixed to each other. Without a hold-down pallet the garment will slide around between prints. So you'll need a hold-down pallet and probably an extra jacket or two. I sure did the first time.

Speed the dryer belt up a little for the jacket. Too fast is better than two slow because you can always send it down again but you can't un-shrivel it :) . Check for cure by rubbing the print with a scrap shirt. If the color rubbed off at all, send the jacket down again, a little slower. If the seams begin to pucker at all, it's getting too hot.

Good luck!

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thankyou so much for your reply on printing polyester jackets. I was also wondering, if I use the perma-white as an underbase...do I need a polyester army green for the top or just a plastisol? wish me luck .... I only have the jacket provided to me!

· Registered
74 Posts
thankyou so much for your reply on printing polyester jackets. I was also wondering, if I use the perma-white as an underbase...do I need a polyester army green for the top or just a plastisol? wish me luck .... I only have the jacket provided to me!
You can print any plastisol over the dye-resistant underbase, just use the same army green you used on the sweatshirts.
I would recommend seeking out a similar garment to practice on first. Probably not a bad idea to source the one they gave you as well, in case you need to replace it in a hurry (better safe than sorry!)

Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.