T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got most of my designs together, and I've met 2 printers that I'm interested in dealing with. I chose 2 so I could have a choice based on look and of course price.

My questions basically deal with how to appropriatly dealing with my printers. So far I've emailed my files to them so I can get a quote. One printer will provide shirts, and I've told him what Amer. App. shirt I want. The other printer asks that I provide the shirts.

So as of now I'm waiting for quotes.

Questions...

1. Should I meet with my printer to have a disscustion as to where and how I want my images positioned?

2. Do I need to provide line sheets to my printer?

3. How long does it usually take to get a quote back?

These questions may be odd, but I'm really curious.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Re: Printer Stage: Questions to Ask a Screen Printer?

1. Should I meet with my printer to have a disscustion as to where and how I want my images positioned?
Most printers have standard print locations that you can communicate to them (left front chest, right front chest, center front, center back, back tab, left sleeve, right sleeve).

If you have more specific requests, you should be able to communicate that to your printer via email or phone. Sometimes an in person meeting can help you feel better though :)

2. Do I need to provide line sheets to my printer?
I don't think so. I think they only need the graphic file that you want printed. If you are sending them a vector file and want to send them a JPG version of your shirt with the print location, that might also help them "see what you see".

3. How long does it usually take to get a quote back?
You should expect a quote within 24-48 hours (or less).

This can also be a good test for you to see how responsive the printer is and how well they communicate.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just remembered another ques.

I still havent gotten my quote, but my printer says they will include my shirts. Is it a better idea to purchase the shirts on my own and take them to the printer? I just dont know if the printer will jack the price up a bit to make a profit.

I have an EIN # so I can buy wholesale. I'm considering Bella shirts. Do you guys think I should buy my own?

Thoughts...

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
well, keep in mind that your printer may be someone you will need as a working partner long term. You depend on his wormanship to profit.

They don't have a problem (in most cases) when brands supply the shirts. It is done often.

The question is : are you experianced enough to handle the t-shirt supply with out increasing the risk of production problems for the printer where the shirts are defective or someting like that. It does happen, peeps go out to get the cheapest price shirts only to find out that the printer will refuse to work with them. Sometimes its hard to tell between First and second quality goods.

As for Bella, the brand is less popular then "aa". Quality, fit etc... you should examine them yourself really. Cause opinions vary.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Rebelesque said:
I just dont know if the printer will jack the price up a bit to make a profit.
Most printers will increase the price a little to make some money; many of those printers will charge more for the printing if you provide your own shirts to make the same amount of money.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
I still havent gotten my quote, but my printer says they will include my shirts. Is it a better idea to purchase the shirts on my own and take them to the printer? I just dont know if the printer will jack the price up a bit to make a profit.
I usually just have the printer supply the shirts. The markup they add usually tries to cover the cost of shipping the blanks to them from the supplier. It shouldn't be a huge profit difference.

Some people prefer to supply their own blanks, but if the printer can get Bella and I can get Bella, I just have the printer do it to save me time.

Also, when the printer buys the blanks, they usually cover stuff like misprints, etc. So if there are misprints (which sometimes happen), they will make sure you aren't short any shirts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lucy,

My printer actually suggested Bella to me, and I've seen it mentioned on the board.

Annushka: From my understanding a line sheet is a presentation of what your garment will look like with a corresponding key. The key will show color, material, item name and number, with a picture of the front and back (if there is something on the back). I guess you can say it's like a spec sheet.

Keep in mind, this is what I got from what I've read before. Feel free to jump in if you have something to add to my definition.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Rebelesque said:
Annushka: From my understanding a line sheet is a presentation of what your garment will look like with a corresponding key. The key will show color, material, item name and number, with a picture of the front and back (if there is something on the back). I guess you can say it's like a spec sheet.

Keep in mind, this is what I got from what I've read before. Feel free to jump in if you have something to add to my definition.
Oh ok I got it. Thanks :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Rebelesque said:
From my understanding a line sheet is a presentation of what your garment will look like with a corresponding key. The key will show color, material, item name and number, with a picture of the front and back (if there is something on the back). I guess you can say it's like a spec sheet.
A line sheet is for wholesale purposes so in addition to shirt specs you would need to list your wholesale cost + (optionally) MSRP, minimum order, delivery and cut off dates. Most buyers and sales reps will not deal with you w/o one of these.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts