T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to ask a couple questions about the Epson printers. What is the difference between the 1280 and the 3000, besides the price. I have a local artist do my designs and save them on discs for me in Corel. My plan is to print the negatives from my house and then burn my own screens for screen-printing and possibly plastisol transfers. I want a printer that can do this as well as print "traditional" inkjet transfers. So can both of these printers do this..................I am satisfied with the paper size that the 1280 permits, so if that is the only difference then I think I will stick with that one.

Also, can somebody break down Opaque transfer paper for me vs. normal transfer paper. Thanks so much again for any help

·
Registered
42 Posts
EngBulldog said:
I wanted to ask a couple questions about the Epson printers. What is the difference between the 1280 and the 3000, besides the price. I have a local artist do my designs and save them on discs for me in Corel. My plan is to print the negatives from my house and then burn my own screens for screen-printing and possibly plastisol transfers. I want a printer that can do this as well as print "traditional" inkjet transfers. So can both of these printers do this..................I am satisfied with the paper size that the 1280 permits, so if that is the only difference then I think I will stick with that one.

Also, can somebody break down Opaque transfer paper for me vs. normal transfer paper. Thanks so much again for any help
I have a 3000 but don't know much about the 1280. I think the 3000 can handle bigger stock. With either printer you are going to need to buy a RIP to process your graphics. The RIP allows you to print very dark positives(which is important when burning your screens). I would also suggest you use clear film. I started doing this about a year ago and was lucky enough to get the right equipment, printer, RIP, etc. I've never had an issue buring screen....many newbie printers count this as their biggest hassle. It also helps to have a good exposure unit. I would suggest that you check out www.screenprinters.net - go to the forums. You can get tons of great technical information there. I learned virtually everything I know by reading those boards (not that I know that much).

Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I have a nice exposure unit............it is actually from the screenprinters.net company in Arizona. It is a little older but works great. I need to get the vacuum unit replaced though. So I am down to needing a flash cure and a printer, and I will finally have the complete shop. Any more suggestions on printers and I would really appreciate it. (Laser vs inkjet, Epson 3000 vs 1280, what printers can you install the RIP to, what other printers allow at least 11x17 feed, etc, etc, etc).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jay, I also wanted to thank you for the advice on reading those forums. I check that site out quite a bit. I actually just bought a conveyor dryer from those classifieds. I find that forum is not as easy to read as this one though. Is there any way to go into a thread and see all the responses without having to click on each one. I know some forums have options where you can change the settings but I haven't found one there yet.

I am very fortunate to have a local shop in my area that is so helpful. I almost feel like family now as much as I am there. I am gonna pay them a little to help me get set up. The only problem is that they use a rather expensive laser printer and I am opting for a printer that I can do inkjet transfers as well as print negatives to burn. Is this possible or will I have to have separate printers. I am a total newbie on the printers, I kind of focus on one aspect at a time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay looks like I am going to need 2 printers. One for positives to burn screens, and the other for doing inkjet transfers. Anyone care to explain the difference between inkjet and laser printers. I believe laser is more expensive but wandering if there are some good deals out there. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts