T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to purchase a printer for heat transfer. I purchased a Espon XP 15000 but I’m not sure if that will do the job because of the ink. I keep getting mixed information that it’s pigment ink and that’s it’s dye ink. I’m so confused.

can someone recommend a printer please??

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
That printer is perfect regardless of the ink it comes with because you can buy third-party pigment ink to put in it. All Epsons have piezo heads that can print dye, pigment, or sublimation ink without issue. Stick with one of the well know names, like Cobra, Cosmos, or InkOwl, as those will come with an ICC profile or be color balanced to work in your printer model without one.

Note, even if the Epson ink for that printer is pigment, it was not intended for use with heat transfers and will have a yellow cast unless you make adjustments or find an ICC profile from your paper supplier, or the like, that corrects for the shift caused by heating the ink.

Given the intended purpose of that printer (office use), I'd guess that the black is pigment and the other colors are dye. It is a great printer for printing transfers or sublimation, one that many people currently want and cannot find. Buy ink, and get to work!

Note, I bought my WF-7210 some years ago and put Cobra pigment ink in it to print transfers and cards. Now I have Cobra sublimation ink in it. Fear not using third-party ink. With an EcoTank like the 15000, it is easier than ever to use third-party inks (no cartridge chips to fight with).

You cannot buy a printer that was made for the purpose of printing heat press transfers. Epsons are the choice of people in this business precisely because piezo print heads enable the use of your choice of inks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts