T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you get this alot but i been search for a few hours and have yet to find the answers i want

I am looking for a cheap basic inkjet printer i dont need halftoning or even super fine detail for that matter...

I just need to know a model that is pretty cheap and can print dark enough for me to use... I dont want to buy those rip software either i am not trying to pay $500 for it

these shirts are going to be simple mostly 1 color 2 the most

again i want a cheap printer nothing fancy 81/2 x 14 is fine i dont need anything bigger i just want it to be dark enough to print

first i had the wrong transperenices now the wrong printer i just want a shirt lol

thanx in advance for the help

· Registered
308 Posts
Epsons seem to be the most popular for Positives.

I see a lot of people using the 1400, 1800, 2000, 2200, 4000, 4800, and stuff in the workforce series.
I've heard good things about all of them.

After reading a lot, and thinking about what I wanted, I bought a used Epson Stylus Photo R2200 and couldn't be happier.
Came with roll film rollers, automatic cutter, output bag/catch, and a bunch of extra ink - $175

I DO NOT have to double my prints.

It will take roll film, and it is a 13" Wide format.

I am NOT running all black cartridges, and I do not have a rip.

I have ran both the Photo Black, and Matte Black....
I think I got a little better result with the Matte.

I just had to play with the printer settings a bit, and I downloaded all the printer profiles from Epson.

Currently I set it up with Matte Black, using the Premium Glossy Paper setting, Photo Gloss 2880 Profile, Vivid, Black, 2880 DPI, and I get very opaque films.

This is fine for what I am doing right now.
I am not doing halftones at the moment, and I am thinking this may not work the greatest for that without the All Black conversion.
However, I am getting very good fine details, so who knows. I'll find out some day.

If you aren't trying to spend a lot, Craigslist is your friend.
Just be sure you test it to make sure the heads are good before you buy.
Nothing more finicky than a inkjet ;)

Also, with a used printer, keep in mind that you may need to buy the reset software, since they will 'time out' after a certain number of prints and will need to be reset.
There are eBay sellers selling software for around $8, and I think there are also freewares such as SSC Service Utility:
SSC Service Utility for Epson Stylus Printer.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was interested in the workforce 1100 but it seems to be out of stock everywhere and the ones that are in stock are like $290

i guess ill have to keep searching around to find something good if not ill just have to pay for it....

gotta pay to play......

· Registered
736 Posts
Check your Staples, check the clearance area, they may have a display model on the back of an aisle somewhere, look up at the racks where the printers are stored, one in my area still has one left. They're on clearance for $129.99 (even if it's an open model).

The new WF-7010 that has bottom feed tray looks like trouble to me. For one, you couldn't run rolls through it. I don't know how you would do long banners with it either or install a CIS. I would go for the Artisan 1430 instead, since it's still mostly the same as the Stylus Photo 1400. If you do get the WF-7010 I would use refillable/resettable dampers (cartridges, but set up the same as a CIS with the chip bar against the contact pins and not self-resetting carts), not a CIS.

· Registered
28 Posts
Check your Staples, check the clearance area, they may have a display model on the back of an aisle somewhere, look up at the racks where the printers are stored, one in my area still has one left. They're on clearance for $129.99 (even if it's an open model).

The new WF-7010 that has bottom feed tray looks like trouble to me. For one, you couldn't run rolls through it. I don't know how you would do long banners with it either or install a CIS. I would go for the Artisan 1430 instead, since it's still mostly the same as the Stylus Photo 1400. If you do get the WF-7010 I would use refillable/resettable dampers (cartridges, but set up the same as a CIS with the chip bar against the contact pins and not self-resetting carts), not a CIS.
the 1430 is not ciss friendly....epson did a firmware upgrade on the printers to stop the ciss use...still not fix and its been a couple months now...the first of the 1430's can use a ciss but if your updated to teh latest firmware your SOL

· Registered
2,105 Posts
I'm just about to order an epson 4900, but have been using a standard canon printer, standard ink and inkjet transparency. Just doubled them up and stuck with double-sided tape to ensure a dark positive.

Not the easiest or most cost effective thing to do on volume, but it got me going, gave me perfect screens on washout and allowed me to get some big orders!

· Registered
8,374 Posts
the 1430 is not ciss friendly....epson did a firmware upgrade on the printers to stop the ciss use...still not fix and its been a couple months now...the first of the 1430's can use a ciss but if your updated to teh latest firmware your SOL
This goes for a lot of Epson printers CISS or refillable cartridges may give you issues including the last batch of WF1100. There are several companies already selling a new updated system but I haven't tried any yet.

Most any Epson printer you can get refillable cartridges for and use blackmaxx ink in will work. You can use as a multi purpose or convert to all black. I would stay with a model that you can get a rip later on if needed. 1430 isnt exactly like the 1400. The print engine has been updated.

· Registered
28 Posts
This goes for a lot of Epson printers CISS or refillable cartridges may give you issues including the last batch of WF1100. There are several companies already selling a new updated system but I haven't tried any yet.

Most any Epson printer you can get refillable cartridges for and use blackmaxx ink in will work. You can use as a multi purpose or convert to all black. I would stay with a model that you can get a rip later on if needed. 1430 isnt exactly like the 1400. The print engine has been updated.
I just gave my right arm for a 1400 on ebay...now Im reading on here some of the 1400's are not working with ciss systems....any truth to this you know of?

· Registered
8,374 Posts
I just gave my right arm for a 1400 on ebay...now Im reading on here some of the 1400's are not working with ciss systems....any truth to this you know of?
The thread you seen I believe the OP just received a bad CISS. It does happen. There are several threads of people buying a junk CISS then bad mouthing them in general. Hotzone360 and aaadealalways eBay user are the same person. Contact him he can give you the down low on what works. I beileve the last time I talked to him the 1430 has the upgraded chips in the new CISS system he has. So even if your 1400 has the upgraded firmware he should have a system that works.

Reactions: tonym17

· Registered
28 Posts
The thread you seen I believe the OP just received a bad CISS. It does happen. There are several threads of people buying a junk CISS then bad mouthing them in general. Hotzone360 and aaadealalways eBay user are the same person. Contact him he can give you the down low on what works. I beileve the last time I talked to him the 1430 has the upgraded chips in the new CISS system he has. So even if your 1400 has the upgraded firmware he should have a system that works.
I didnt know there was a fix for the 1430's I just bought 1 yesterday and returned before opening..

· Registered
8,374 Posts
I didnt know there was a fix for the 1430's I just bought 1 yesterday and returned before opening..
Check with guy listed above CISS and printing is all he does I believe and I have personally dealt with him for years. I once received a bad CISS he sent the chips out overnight to me I agreed to change them or he would have sent the whole system.

Reactions: tonym17
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.