T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it has been asked probably 100 times. But I am doing research and I can not really decide because much of the stuff I read about doesnt pertain to screen printing on these printers.

I can get an Epson 1280 for 200.00
an Epson 1800 for 150.00
or an Epson 1400 for 250.00

Which one works best? I know the 1400 is the class favorite.
But what makes that better than the others? All three will accept CIS. All three are 13" wide format and Micro piezo.

I tried using my Canon and not much luck. I do not know if i use a water proof film, if it will make a difference.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Any one of those printer can produce good films the 1800 and the 1280 are discontinued models. Rumors have started about 1400 being replaced by the 1430. No matter what you go with I recommend using as a dedicated for films and use all black with ink specifically for films it will save you time and agervation.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Blackmaxx will work in all 3 printers. Accurip will work with both 1400 and 1800. A better choice for a RIP is filmmaker. It can do stuff accurip only dreams of although set up takes more time than accurip.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You can convert your Epson to all black for a fraction of the cost of the blackmaxx system. Purchase the refillable ink cartridges and black dye off the Internet and save yourself tons of money.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I use the bulk blackmaxx in bulk. Your regular dye ink doesn't contain the extra UV blockers. Discount film supply has a liter of dye ink for $40 not sure of its quality. I use blackmaxx $130 a liter from silkscreeningsuplies.com.

Reactions: lben

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I went ahead with the 1400. Got it for 117.00. I purchased the CIS unit But I am running color and one tank of black for now.

I also do photography so I want to see if i can sneak two uses out of this. If not I will probably try to purchase another one and convert it to all black. But I iwll see what the black can do for me as is, for now. I am not doing half tones yet, either.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Thanks everyone. I went ahead with the 1400. Got it for 117.00. I purchased the CIS unit But I am running color and one tank of black for now.

I also do photography so I want to see if i can sneak two uses out of this. If not I will probably try to purchase another one and convert it to all black. But I iwll see what the black can do for me as is, for now. I am not doing half tones yet, either.
You can get by and even do halftones with standard ink if you are willing to do some extra work. After doing your seperations(how ever you do them)your pages are usally 100k or 100%black ink. You can cange that color in your graphics program to 100C 100Y 100M 100K this will be a rich black mixture and will print from all channels. You can go to advanced settings when printing and crank up the saturation a bit but do in small increments as too much ink and it will get all over the pinch rollers. This works well and I did it the first 2 years of printing then the last 3 years all black with blackmaxx ink. I can tell you I can overexpose and still get good results. I couldnt do that with the stock ink

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a 1280, not a bad printer but I am having a hard time finding any RIP for it. I have a line on another 1400 and think I'll go that direction.
So much to learn, so little time..

Godd luck,,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.