T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This print started coming off the shirt after one wash from the customer. Not sure how the customer washed it. Since we are new to printing with white ink, I was wondering if anyone had this problem before and how they corrected it. Our process on these shirts is:
30 sec heat press @ 356F
spray 1 layer pre-treat-roll with sponge
spray 2 layer pre-treat-roll with sponge
heat press 35 sec @ 356F
print
hover 1 minute (we don't have a hover press yet so I feel we are not getting very close to the shirt)
press w/ light pressure & silicone paper for 2 minute @350 @ 1 minute intervals

nan-shirt.jpg

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
My guess is it's more in the way you are pretreating. I personally use 100% pretreat with a Wagner gun spraying in one direction with moderate speed. It's coated and it works well. I don't use the roller, I know some do, but time is money and I think it takes too much time to do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you think I should lower the temp if I cure it for longer?
Sometimes the prints get this "cracked" looked after the 2 minutes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess is it's more in the way you are pretreating. I personally use 100% pretreat with a Wagner gun spraying in one direction with moderate speed. It's coated and it works well. I don't use the roller, I know some do, but time is money and I think it takes too much time to do.
Can you use too much pre-treat?
With the Wagner do you do one pass?

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
If it's a plastic bottle, too many times they are too inconsistent. My advise would be to go to Home Depot or Lowe's and purchase a wagner spray gun with a dual tip. $60-$80 with consistent spraying. When you are finished, run water through it and you are set....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it's a plastic bottle, too many times they are too inconsistent. My advise would be to go to Home Depot or Lowe's and purchase a wagner spray gun with a dual tip. $60-$80 with consistent spraying. When you are finished, run water through it and you are set....
Will do! Thanks!
Do you think my curing times/temps are good?
I think I'll try different times/temps and give them a wash.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I think the times are good, although I don't think you need to hover for 1 minute, 20-30 seconds should be fine. And yes, Kevin has a good question.... ;)

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
I agree with Marc and Jerid's thought process. In my experience, if large pieces of white underbase are coming off the shirt... the issue is too much pretreat fluid that created a blocker to prevent the binders in the white ink from adhering to the garment. If the color ink comes off and the white ink stays, then I would say that it is an issue of curing the ink process.

Mark

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Spray bottles work fine. Check this out:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87lQUDsxqkg&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I agree they work fine, but IMO (take it for what it's worth), you will get a much more consistent result with less time invested with a spray gun.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Gildan shouldn't be a problem. I would back off on the pretreatment.

I did a series of testing recently with different shirts from different manufacturers for use as our sample shirts.

All of the shirts were pretreated using our pretreat machine that is in development, and the printing and curing were all the same using the same settings/production run.

This image shows a Canvas brand organic tee on the right and a Hyp brand shirt on the left. Both were about the same weight shirt and again both were treated the same way all through testing. The one on the left exhibits the same washability as a shirt that has too much pretreatment applied.

I guess some shirts are different/better, and it looked the same way.

Were all of the shirts in the production run the same way after washing?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I can tell you that even the same brand/color/model of shirt will wash differently if they are produced in different countries. The different sizing chemicals affect the pre treatment.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Not to get too far off topic, but here is the article that showed up in the April 2011 edition of Printwear Magazine about doing a wash test and what should be recorded. You will see the point Marc made about Country of Origin and how that can change things.

Mark

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts