T-Shirt Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I currently do work for a customer that prints and then sends to me. I turn around and cut and sew for him. Less head aches for him on the long run. I do not do any printing just cut and sew. The workers i have make patterns for me based on a simple photo. They are very good and have over 30yrs experience doing this work. This family business i have was made after large compaines closed down and left experienced workers with out jobs. We then picked up an elite few and began to do cut and sew for a sublimation company that offered me the work. Lucky for me the ladies I had new what to do and are teaching me so much that requires a specialty. Riders, makes a very good point that cut and sew is not as easy as it seems especially when its full dye jerseys. Try pricing that after all the errors. Many errors were made when eperience was not there, but now all seems to be running smooth. I plan to move foward in the cut and sew business. We started as a small tailore business now adding a new demand to our list. Working on childerns cheer leading uniforms for the upocoming month of August because football is big in my area.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah Riderz I understand your point and am not going to argue that because I understand where your coming from. I have no intentions to get into cut and sew and I know there are 2 really good shops locally that offer just that for dye sub etc.

I am looking at doing some cycling jerseys and potentially some shirts but for me to professionally offer this would be years down the road as I am nowhere near the skill level of this craft.

I will be cutting up a cycling jersey in the next week or few and making a template of it, but again this is more for personal use and a team of buddies possibly.

What do businesses charge for this? How are the rates broken down? Ive never ordered cut and sew sublimation or had them made but I am curious if anyone has a general breakdown for the midwest?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm 4 months into learning how to make patterns, sublimating, cutting and sewing way up here in Northern Ontario. I'm within weeks of having a full cut and sew operation going. I wouldn't part with my patterns for nothing, since I've worked extremely hard to convert what patterns I did have to digital, then modify, modify modify until I have the perfect product. Its like (although different) digitizing for embroidery, or any of the other job functions I've done in the garment decorating industry over the past 7 years, these things may look easy but they take a great deal of skill to get right, produce efficiently, and professionally. Why would all that work be worth nothing? You pay for digitizing, artwork, and the clothing that you purchase to print on has development costs worked right into it.

Once operational I plan on being open to product development for clients as requests pop up, but since I'll be the one putting the time in on development, they'll be my property to sell later as well, to recoup costs. If they want to own the pattern, they can pay for that time.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts