T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I would really appreciate it if anybody could advice me, I am mid working a tshirt design, but I don't want to go further without being sure it's printable with a good degree of accuracy.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if the design elements shown on the jpg attached are easily printed with a good degree of accuracy? and also which printing method I would be best asking for when using a design based on elements such as these?

Thanks

Moli :)

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
Should be a piece of cake for a lot of different methods. Screenprinting would be an obvious choice if there was any decent quantitiy, because it a pretty easy one-color print so it would be pretty cheap.

Good luck,
Nick

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fantastic Nick! thankyou! That's just what I needed to hear! ) It's just a sample section from the overall design there is a lot of this kind style on one side of the print (lots of spatter and swooshes), but the other elements are blocks of print so no contest there lol. I'm on a tight commission 'we want something entirely different than our current line, but as it's an experiment in a new direction we have to keep costs down' haha.

Thankyou.

Moli.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
It is a fairly simple design for screen printing, the only thing to keep in mind is the fine detail. To capture that fine detail the printer will want to be using a high mesh count. i'd suggest 300+ because of all those fine lines. 280 mesh would be ok but some thin lines will most probably be lost

·
Registered
612 Posts
No problem Moli! It’s really good to see a designer thinking about how to make the shirt as part of the design process.

How something is going to actually be made should always be considered early in the design process. It will lead to a much more cost effective and successful final product. This applies to anything from T-shirts to airplanes! For some reason, with printing, it often seems to be the last thing people think about (if they even consider it!)

Good luck!
Nick

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow you guys are just brill! So...is that mesh count hard to come by? And is there anything in the design process I need to change? Such as resolution ? (I'm designing at 300dpi in cmyk using a spot colour black in illustrator)...I need this line to be a success, (not financially though that would help ;) I need the design to be what the client wants and the print to go smoothly, it's an important account to me and my first venture into design for apparel) I feel like I need a degree in printing haha.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
wow you guys are just brill! So...is that mesh count hard to come by? And is there anything in the design process I need to change? Such as resolution ? (I'm designing at 300dpi in cmyk using a spot colour black in illustrator)...I need this line to be a success, (not financially though that would help ;) I need the design to be what the client wants and the print to go smoothly, it's an important account to me and my first venture into design for apparel) I feel like I need a degree in printing haha.
Most screen supply companies offer high mesh counts but not all print shops are experienced with using higher mesh and printing fine detail.

why are you working in CMYK and not RGB? :D

if you're designing in illustrator using vectors then there's no resolution to your design. If you're working with bitmap images tho, 300 dpi is good, any lower isn't recommended as the clarity degrades. Higher resolution is even better but is often over kill (much larger file size).

My suggestion if you want this project to go well is to talk with the printer and go over as many details as possible regarding print quality and detail.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
LOL do you know how many times in my earlier days of designing I worked in RGB by accident only to realise at the end of it that I wanted to go to print!!!! :rolleyes: This design will be going to colour later for other purposes. Yep at the moment I'm using illustrator vectors, which I'm trying to stick to, but who knows where it will head? I cross platform more often than not lol

I think we will be changing printers (currently outsourced to china but I need somebody I can communicate and build relations with rather than purely mass production) but I need to finish the design first before I can start sourcing. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts