T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to transfers I do do screen printing and I was wondering how do you charge for transfers I know shirt price plus transfer price but what price do you charge to press the shirts with the transfer is there a formula or what like I try and stay close to my screen press price but it seems like it comes out a bit higher please let me know

·
Registered
721 Posts
If I'm providing the shirt, and the transfer, then pressing the design is built into the final price.

I look at:

I take the COST OF THE SHIRT X 2.5 + $1 + COST OF PAPER + COST OF INK + $6 for labor.

This would be the minimum I would charge for a shirt.

Other factors that come into play are:

Is it the customers design or am I doing design work?

If it's the customers design, how much time will I have to spend making their artwork functional?

Do I have to scan their work?

In other words, there is no single formula. You need to consider every piece of the project...not just the materials.

·
Registered
721 Posts
You must be pricing one-off inkjet transfers. How do you calculate the cost of the ink?
Yea...that's actually a general rule of thumb for small quantities.

I calculate the cost of ink by getting a general idea of how many pages I can print per cartridge. For example, if my black cartridge will yield 480 pages, and my color cartridge will yeild 330 pages, I take the average of the 2 numbers...so I figure my yield is about 400 pages per set of cartridges.

Divide the cost of the ink by the yield, and you have a cost per page for ink.

I multiply that cost figure by 2.5 to account for the other various costs of printing -- the cost of equipment, electricity, etc.

It's a small number...about 25 cents per page, but it's cost that should be included in your cost of goods sold.

·
Registered
293 Posts
that puts you at somewhere between 14-15 for a t-shirt. I usually can't get that much let alone if it's a 2 sided print job

·
Registered
387 Posts
that puts you at somewhere between 14-15 for a t-shirt. I usually can't get that much let alone if it's a 2 sided print job

I charge between $12.00 to $15.00 (one side) . .
if there are add on's . . for back of the Tee, I add $3.00 . .
or something like rhinestones, I add $6.50

right now, having NO problem selling Political shirts for $15.00 +

my pricing for golf shirts is a different ballgame

Diane
;o}

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I charge a minimum of $12 for a 1 sided shirt and add for a second side according to difficulty. I average about $18 for a 2 sided 1 off shirt. ..... JB

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is what i am asking I just added transfers that I use when I dont have time or the order is small for cust like schools and other business not one offs transfers so all I need is what is the cost to charge for the pressing of transfers time I know shirt plus transfer plus press time what would you charge for presstime like an example is I would be around a $1.0 a shirt to press is that close to what others charge I can not get $15.00 a shirt thanks

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yes. I charge $16 - $18 for a one off custom shirt. Price per piece goes down as quantity goes up.

I'm in business to make money. My equipment, materials, ability to source goods, skills, knowledge, and experience are valuable.

If I don't place value on my product, neither will my customer. And if they think $18 is too much for a CUSTOM shirt, then they don't want one badly enough.

I've had customers try to do it themself, with an iron and materials from the craft store -- they quickly realize that not only did not save much money, their home made shirt did not have the professional look they wanted, and they call me back.

I don't buy into the "I can't get those prices in this part of the country like you can in California"...people all over the country think nothing of paying $25 for pro sports team shirts and caps.

Don't sell yourself short. You don't need to charge what I charge, but for goodness sake, make the profit you need to make.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I know prices vary and some places the competition is heavier. I would atleast get $2 a press . plus mark up on garment. We all forget the reason we are doing this is to turn a profit and that is not a dirty word. .... JB

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is what I am asking I am not doing one offs I am doing cust shirts butt I have to be close in price to other shops $2.00 would put me around there price but if I add a second side or color I can only add an additional $.35 to each order for a total of $2.35 a shirt.I am still trying to make a profit but I wanted to see if I was close with everybody else so I am not to low or to high

·
Registered
721 Posts
Generally, when I'm using inkjet transfers for shirts, it's for a small quantity. If the quantity is larger, I go with plastisol transfers.

So for me, I don't even attempt to compare inkjet transfer prices to screen printing.

One other thing to keep in mind if you must compare...is that price per shirt for screen printing all inclusive, or are there additional charges for colors, screens, etc.?

Compare apples with apples.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I was going to print some golf balls but have no idea what to charge. What do you charge to print golf balls

Philip

I charge between $12.00 to $15.00 (one side) . .
if there are add on's . . for back of the Tee, I add $3.00 . .
or something like rhinestones, I add $6.50

right now, having NO problem selling Political shirts for $15.00 +

my pricing for golf shirts is a different ballgame

Diane
;o}

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know what to charge for golf balls but I would call other shops and see what they charge and any set up charge

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I think calling other shops is a good way, but they don't always want to be honest. I have always developed a relationship with my local competition. I go and visit and exchange ideas. We even laugh at some of the customers stories. If a customers tells me a outlandish price from a competitor,I call them up. This has built trust and friendships for me over the years. If I need some vinyl, I can call them up and get what I need and then replace it. This is a way to help each other and always have a ace in your pocket. ... JB

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Very true JB. Businesses can be competitive without being hostile. You never know when you might run out of something or have an equipment malfunction and need a favor. Also, like you say, its nice to be able to pick up the phone and say, "hey, did you bid this job?" It can also lead to some occasional business.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts