T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to even bring this topic up because I know it's a real hot-button with some, but here goes.

I recently raised my pricing on the 'Havana Street' line on my site. Reason is, after paying the artist his share, I wasn't making enough.

The problem is, my price is up to $21 for infant and toddler shirts (that includes shipping)

All of my other shirts are at $19 regular price.

Will that turn people off? Is it too high?

I was in Wal-Mart tonight, and saw printed infant tees for $2.88. That just kills me. I'm spending $2 on blanks alone.

Anyway, I hate to bring this up, but I'm not really making to many sales yet and I wonder if pricing has something to do with it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
it does sound a bit high to me, but that's a personal opinion.

in the long run you may be better off eating the cost up front for a little while. if you get a few bites and some good word of mouth gets the ball rolling on your site you could a)bump your price up later and test the response or b)make up for it with a high volume of sales.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I wouldnt pay that price,

plus as a seller, I hate paying percentages to artists. I would pay them an upfront fee, or not deal with them. Its just too much of a hastle to pay an artist every time a shirt sells. The shirts better be selling constantly, if you have to put up with that kind of crap.

You should know if the price is too high. I mean if the shirts are selling, your price is right. If not, there are a number of things that could be your problem.

So walmart has 2.88 shirts...maybe you should buy some of them and resell them. There could be alot of profit in that.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, after doing some digging around, I found I wasn't completely out of line. babywit.com is selling them for $21 and that doesn't include shipping. T-shirt hell is at $18.

I did take your advice and lower my price at least until I get some recognition. I will probably have to up them again in the future, since I'm not so sure 'quantity' selling is in my future. :)

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Well I commend you for honesty with your clip artist. Wonder what you paid that group for 5 b&W images and a weblink. On your website you have the $10.00 price slashed and it now reads $17.00...you might wanna get rid of the previous price. I agree an upfront liscense fee may be better than a percentage unless they were way pricey. If so I can understand why you gave them percentage. I wonder what a freelance artist would charge for similar images?

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I wouldn't pay $20 for a toddler t-shirt. Maybe for an adult t-shirt, but for an infant/toddler t-shirt that has a high chance of being messed up, probably not.

I've seen a lot of great looking toddler tees online that I've wanted to buy, but they were around $20, so I've passed on them. I don't know if I'm the only one that does this or not though.

tshirthell already has a large customer base and they can probably get away with selling higher priced tees. I doubt they sell that many of them though (they already removed them from the site once a year or so ago).

I wouldn't look at walmart as your competition though, since they are massed produced products that people can buy anywhere. People will pay more for something unique, but there's a limit.

I'd probably pay around $10-15 for a cool infant/toddler tee. With the blanks, art and printing, seems like you could still make a decent profit off of those.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'll stick to around $15. $10 is way to low. The blanks for kids tees are the same price as adults! Burns me...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Maybe its time to design your own. I create new stuff everyday I just have to get the web site going but I'm basically lazy.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was in Wal-Mart tonight, and saw printed infant tees for $2.88. That just kills me. I'm spending $2 on blanks alone.

I print Spirit Wear for 2 High Schools in my area, Buisiness was great until Walmart decided to do the high schools logos and sell printed tees for $5 dollars apiece:( .
The only way I was able to compete was to offer stuff that they didn't/couldnot such as personalization of names, teams and events. I also went high end in my line which also helped, as the stuff they have is kinda cheap/generic.
Makes you wonder what they pay for a blank?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts