T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm a auto upholster and currently only using my embroidery machine for that job, I'm wanting to expand a little and make the machine pay for its self as apposed to just sitting in the corner looking sad. Question is how to price and stay industry standard as want to stay around the same as the local business. Some locals charge £10 logo setup then £12.50 for chest logo inc polo and £25 inc hoody.... is this OK? I'm currently looking for cloth supplies and about to fill in the absolute apparel application out.

Thanks
George

· Registered
4,496 Posts
Some locals charge £10 logo setup then £12.50 for chest logo inc polo and £25 inc hoody.... is this OK?
That's not how embroidery pricing is done.
Prices are based on stitch count and volume (number of copies).
If a left chest logo on a single polo shirt costs £12.00, it will also cost the same on a single hoodie.
For 6 copies however, the price will be closer to £3.00 per copy.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's not how embroidery pricing is done.
Prices are based on stitch count and volume (number of copies).
If a left chest logo on a single polo shirt costs £12.00, it will also cost the same on a single hoodie.
For 6 copies however, the price will be closer to £3.00 per copy.
Hi thanks for the reply but as the question says I'm looking for information on pricing thanks, the prices given above were including the tshirt and hoodie. So if it runs on stitch could how much is charged per stitch count? Is there a minimum charge? Is it £1.50 per 1000?
Thanks
George

· Administrator
18,441 Posts
Hi thanks for the reply but as the question says I'm looking for information on pricing thanks, the prices given above were including the tshirt and hoodie. So if it runs on stitch could how much is charged per stitch count? Is there a minimum charge? Is it £1.50 per 1000?
There is no set rule. A lot depends on what your cost is to embroider a specific sized design on a garment. So your thread cost comes into play, your embroidery machine speed, # of heads, Employee pay rate, etc. If you just want a generic price list, google embroidery 'embroidery price list'. A ton will come up.

· Registered
4,277 Posts
+ it depends on the garment

what is your cost for the polo/hoody you want to carry?

is it the same make & model as your local comparisons?
what if their garments and/or stitching are sub-par, do you want to race them to the bottom?

as stated in the other posts, work out your embroidery costs, and then factor in garment costs (don't forget incidentals like power, heat, etc.)

do a couple of samples for your own business and use them not only for cost analysis, but aesthetics/washability/etc.

· Registered
4,496 Posts
So if it runs on stitch could how much is charged per stitch count? Is there a minimum charge? Is it £1.50 per 1000?
I would do it in 3,000 increments and keep the pricing simple.

A quick way to calculate pricing is your target revenue per hour.
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Software

In this case a single head machine can generate £100 per hour with just £10 per copy.
If you have a 6 head machine however, you can reduce the price to £1.70 per copy and still make £100 per hour.
With a 12 head machine, you can reduce the price down to £0.85 per copy and still make £100 per hour.

· Banned
5 Posts
Hi all, I'm a auto upholster and currently only using my embroidery machine for that job, I'm wanting to expand a little and make the machine pay for its self as apposed to just sitting in the corner looking sad. Question is how to price and stay industry standard as want to stay around the same as the local business. Some locals charge £10 logo setup then £12.50 for chest logo inc polo and £25 inc hoody.... is this OK? I'm currently looking for cloth supplies and about to fill in the absolute apparel application out.

Thanks
George
I think its little bit high regards cost wise..

· Registered
53 Posts
Things are different here, ‘across the pond’, but for reference:
I charge $1.50 per thousand stitches plus the garment and markup. For customer-supplied items $2 per thou and a signed waiver. Many places also charge a $5 hooping fee, we don’t unless it’s especially hard like Carhartt coats.
The digitizing is a separate piece. If it’s just letters in a font I have, no charge. If it’s an easy design I can put together myself (or use parts from canned designs) in 15 min or less, no charge. If it’s medium difficultly level, $15/15 min. If it’s crazy complex, sub it out & charge the customer the digitizing fee with markup.
The one-off jobs are more fun but more work. See if you can work from local businesses for more steady pay; banks, beauty salons, restaurants, etc. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.