T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing my research and getting ready to print some designs.. im a newbie in the biz by the way.. :) I was looking at sublimation/screenprinting services and I was able to contact a few printers from different areas and some of them provided quotes pretty quickly. Some of them though are asking for jpegs of my designs before they can even give me a quote...is this pretty normal? I mean it took me a great deal to find my graphic designers and seems like I don't want to give out my designs to every printer that I contact...nowadays, someone can easily trace a jpeg ....or maybe I am just being paranoid that my designs are gonna end up getting copied???? :) for our more experienced folks here in the forum, what has been your experience so far??

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well, for my DTG I ask to see the artwork first.. am I going to do one pass or two? Is the job going to be two sided? And if so, is it two full sized or one full sized and one small sized.. and then the double / single pass thing comes into play.

For my silk screening, when using transfers.. I need to see the artwork as well, am I going to be better off using gangs and if so.. what sizes and how can I position them to save money? Also, for my contract silk screening someone can say yeah.. its a one color deal.. and then I'll have to tell them.. okay great, but for hot pink to show on that black shirt.. it needs a white underbase, so two colors.

Just because I'm asking to see your design, doesn't mean i'm gong to copy it :) Maybe you could supply a low res jpg to them and just let them know you do have a high res file. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
DTG on darks I definitely need to see the design. I can give a ball park but no final price without seeing it. Screen printing is a little easier but still seeing the artwork is always a safe way to go.

An "experienced" printer whatever the equipment will alway prefer to see the design.

If you have concerns about it being stolen send them a legal form stating the image is your property blah blah blah .... and then send over the artwork. most printers will happily sign and put your mind at ease. I have signed a many of those in my day.

·
Registered
26 Posts
By all means you should see the graphic before making a quote. About 85% of the time we only get low res .jpg files or gifs..chuckle I really wish customers would provide good high res .pngs, but we work with them & create or correct the graphics for print.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, for my DTG I ask to see the artwork first.. am I going to do one pass or two? Is the job going to be two sided? And if so, is it two full sized or one full sized and one small sized.. and then the double / single pass thing comes into play.

For my silk screening, when using transfers.. I need to see the artwork as well, am I going to be better off using gangs and if so.. what sizes and how can I position them to save money? Also, for my contract silk screening someone can say yeah.. its a one color deal.. and then I'll have to tell them.. okay great, but for hot pink to show on that black shirt.. it needs a white underbase, so two colors.

Just because I'm asking to see your design, doesn't mean i'm gong to copy it :) Maybe you could supply a low res jpg to them and just let them know you do have a high res file. :)
good points...what I dont want to happen is getting a quick quote and end up paying more than what was quoted for....

·
Registered
26 Posts
We are always careful when giving quotes, as we will ALWAYS stand behind our quote. Once you give someone a price you have to live with it if you make a mistake. You can ask for a sample print of your design, we usually just charge a small fee to cover costs & shipping. Ask to see a sample of thier work to see what kind of print quality you are going to get. We put some of our design online as our Webstore, but we also watermark them. Good luck in your business!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Its also kind of like a code of honor. We probably aren't going to steal your idea because we don't want someone stealing ours. Plus YOUR the one taking the risk of whether it sells or not, not us. We get paid to produce it. YOU have to pay for it, market it, promote it, store it, move it, package it, ship it, and pay taxes on it! (Don't ever forget Uncle Sam, cuz He never forgets you!)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ratdaddy- as much as I agree with you I do think that protecting your work is very important. While you or I might not steal someones work, Doesnt mean the shmuck down the street won't.. Ya know?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts