T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just wondering how you guys would price these per shirt. Both shirts same design on the front side only.

9 pcs. Purple Shirts - With 1 color Gold ink
15 pcs. Gold/Yellowish Shirts - With 1 Color purple ink

I was thinking of pricing them at $12.50 each since its a small order, and the shirt colors are a little harder to find, I also need to purchase those ink colors since they are not a standard every day use color.

Do you guys think this is too high or too low? what would you charge? what are the reasons you would charge that price?

·
Registered
828 Posts
What type of shirts?? I use different pricing for 5.5oz than i would for 6.1. the same goes for combed ringspun cotton fitted shirts.
Also are there any 2X-5X shirts in that order??
Are You planning to underbase the gold? Is it Gold or Golden Yellow Ink??

I specialize in smaller orders so my prices might not reflect what most would charge for smaller runs, but:
I would be at 232 total. 9.67/shirt. I would probably just bump it to 240 flat if I could.
This is assuming 6.1oz shirts, S-XL, no Design Fee.
This price includes:
1 screen setup charge = 30 (NO UNDERBASE)
1 Ink Change = 10
24 shirts x 8 = 192

Even if I had to buy a Quart of each ink I would still end up with around $150 after material costs.

If I had to do an underbase the price would be around $267 which would be about $11.13/shirt.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not planning on doing an underbase, and the sizes are from small to xlarge only.

I will be using the Lakers Gold from Triangle Ink.

The customer just came back to me to try to match the price of another competitor who is charging $8 a shirt with no minimum required.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I could do it if I had to, but why would the person go back to you if he already knows he can get a deal elsewhere??

Don't match the price. just tell him that's what you charge and you stand behind your work. If it was that huge of a savings he wouldn't have even gone back to you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha...told him I won't be able to price match and he decided to stick with me after all.

Anyways, do you think $12.50 is too much. I am waiving the setup/screen fee, and waiving the Ink Change, and I am paying the tax.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I've never dealt with tax before as I am in NJ so I can't talk much for tax.

I can't really say if that is too high or not. With all of those fees waived i'd be even lower. I'd be at about 8 per shirt (6white/7 heather/8colors for 6.1oz starting price).
Charge what the customer will pay. IF they are willing to pay 12.50 and you do great work it was well worth it for them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mike, you should call the competition and see what they charge for the same job. If they all charge 8ish then 12.50 is high, if they charge 11.50 then not too high....

I live in screen printer central USA so I have to be very competitive it seems!

I would do Gildan 2000, 1 screens/set up for 20 bucks and 1 color change for 10 bucks and
be at 175 bucks. That's $7.30 a pop. Really were just talking 24 one color one location tees, and just on the front, easy peezy.

But like I said I can't throw a rock without hitting a screen printer or shop, I swear it's not even funny!

·
Registered
30 Posts
In my opinion, $12.50 is a perfectly legitimate price per shirt. This small order of 24 shirts is more complicated than it appears. Much artwork that works well in one color with dark ink on a light background requires modifications to print a light colored ink on dark background. At the very least, the ink color would have to be changed. Often, an inverse version of the original artwork would better serve the design, and therfore, the customer, than a mere reversal of foreground and background colors. Charge what the market will allow.

·
Registered
766 Posts
It's not clear if the same screen can be use for both prints. If we assume they are different,

9 @ 9.50
15 @ 7.25

Neither price includes shipping or artwork fees. What are your shipping costs and what do you charge for art. My price assumes a $20 screen charge.

Good luck to you. if you got $12.50 more power to you. I have 2 separate methods for pricing. I adapted a spreadsheet I got off of these boards and if I priced using that method I'd be closer to your prices at 9 units and closer to 10.20 for the 15. I stopped using that method when I had to engage a LARGE contract printer here in town and received his contract hit rates and setup fees. I found I was pricing myself out of the market

Which makes me curious, what do you markup a contract printer's price? 40%, 50%, 100%? I've been thinking of pricing with the higher method for lower volumes and using the pricing table method for volumes say over 50 or 100...

What do you think?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts