T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I would really like some opinions on my pricing. As of yet I haven't had anyone complain and some said I was charging too little. But, last night someone said my prices were too high and I couldn't tell if they were joking or serious. So, any opinions would be great.

Ok, so for a single shirt w/ heat transfer paper or vinyl I'm charging $18 for just front or back and $20 for front and back. If you buy more than 5 I lower the price to $16. If you buy more than 12 the price lowers to $12 and if you buy 24 it lowers to $10. This is for S-XL the larger sizes I'm charging $2 more per shirt. Does this sound reasonable? I've been doing the artwork touchups for free. If I were buying from someone I would think this was reasonable, but I'd like to hear opinions from others I don't want to overcharge, but I also don't want to be bullied into undercharging either.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm not super experienced or anything but from the consumer side I wouldn't have had a problem with that. It's sounds close to what we intend to charge.

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
Sounds reasonable to me. Maybe too much of a drop on the 12 and 24 price. There will always be someone who complains about high pricing. And, there will always be someone who sells for more, and for less.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is how I worked a job. I approached a local artist originally from Russia. I had purchased five prints from her in the past. In my opinion I thought heat transfer would be a much better medium to showcase her work which is quite colorful and unique.

She trusted me with high res photos on a disc and I had to tweak the work in Photoshop. The trick was to stay within her color format but enhance the colors for the transfer process. Being familiar with Photoshop, it didn’t take too long. I then printed 7 shirts on the house for her (for reasons I won’t go into here).

The shirts were quite nicer than the few she had which were typical low quality and prone to fading. I told her she could display the shirts, take orders and sell or keep the original shirts. Mind you, she doesn’t sell a lot of shirts so I knew this was no bonanza deal but I like her and her work is wonderful. I also explained the shirts were higher quality and were in colors as well. She wanted shirts particularly for the ladies. Most of her work is feminine in nature.

Further, I told her I could have shirts printed in a day or two of her orders. She didn’t have to take anything from her pocket since I didn’t require a minimum purchase and she could pay me when she received the orders. I then did a write up on the shirts and the process for maintenance for her. At first she was skeptical and wondered if I was being honest with her. Her English is halting and she is naturally skeptical at times. I understood her questioning and assured her because she helped me with a purchase I would be glad to be part of her artwork which I absolutely love. I reminded her she has 7 free shirts to do what she wants with and doesn’t have to spend any money to fill orders for her shirts. Payment was due only upon POS. She could also have any print she needed for an order if she provided the photo and her shirts would be delivered in a day or two. (Can you tell it’s more of a hobby at this point?)

Under the circumstances, I required $12 per shirt. She asked if I would take $10 and I said I can’t do it. I told her if she ordered 36 shirts I would sell them to her for $10 apiece but with that she’d have to purchase up front.

The conversation was ended when I asked if she’d like to think about it…

I’m comfortable with my offer and quite surprised at her balking. She told me she paid $6 for the shirts she has and I know she sells her cheaper shirts for $18. By the way, she loved the results of the printing. Some folks will never be happy. Go figure…

·
Registered
42 Posts
Your price is very reasonable and I do not believe that she got those old shirts for $6.00 each. They will always try to pull one over you and do not for a minute think that your price is too high. Between the ink cost, the electricity, and other stuff involved in producing these shirts justifies the price you gave her.

It is a norm in this business to have contract (volumes) and retail (singles) prices... don't sweat it!

-- Olde Lady

·
Registered
53 Posts
I do not believe that she got those old shirts for $6.00 each. -- Olde Lady
I think the pricing quoted here is more than reasonable as I said before. However for the cheaper shirts there are companies that will sell them for $6.00 a shirt. My step-dad owns a remodeling company and he gets his shirts for $6.00 each. They are Gildan shirts and have a one color screen printed logo on them that is only text and doesn't even have an image.

But... they do have them out there where you can get them for $6.00 a shirt.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, Screen printing with one color front can be $6.00 each; however, in this case the artist lady said that she paid for multi-color shirts for $6.00 each. If this is true, the shirts can only be done through atleast 2 screens for silk screening or heat press material.

Ev also mentioned that she made the image better than the ones the artist bought. Overall, with everything said and done... Multi-color jobs should cost morethan one color job.

How many shirt did he buy to get $6.00 each?

I LOVE Gildan and that's the only brand I choose for my customers. Unless they request something else. Gildan seemed to be consistent with their quality down to their colors. I never had to worry about Red shirts manufactured in Nicaragua will be a different Red manufactured from another country. Sorry, got off the track again :)

-- Olde Lady

·
Registered
53 Posts
How many shirt did he buy to get $6.00 each?-- Olde Lady
He actually only got like 16 shirts. 8 with white logo, and 8 with blue. I wanted to start doing their shirts for them and just order his logo in the plastisol transfers but I'm not sure it's going to be worth it. I'd be doing it at cost once shipping and everything got calculated. He's happy with what he's getting, so I'm probably going to leave it alone. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
TWINKIESMommy,

Your dad got himself a deal for a sixteen-piece order. Our minimum is 24 because the set-up is the same as one or one hundred-piece order.

:)

-- Olde Lady

·
Registered
53 Posts
TWINKIESMommy, Your dad got himself a deal for a sixteen-piece order. Our minimum is 24 because the set-up is the same as one or one hundred-piece order. :) -- Olde Lady
I know he did. lol That's why after he told me I have not asked for his business. I don't want it if that's the price he expects.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts