T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
How many would you have to print? I would only charge for the printing only since thy have their own item to be printed. I can't give you an exact price for you to charge because prices depend on where your business is located, competition, how many items printed, etc. My price for print only for 1 item would be $10 for up to 2 print locations. If they had more items to be printed It would bring the pricing down a bit per item. I hope this helps.

· Registered
10,342 Posts
I would decline this order. There is no upside for you. The screens, shirts, ink could be crap. Then where are you? What if you spoil one? Who replaces it?

· Registered
2,105 Posts
I don't use other people's gear. Too much risk of something going wrong: tension, registration between screens, image placement for your setup etc. how have they sepped it? Have they given enough choke or trap if needed? Have you used the ink before? Maybe it's trash?

I try to reduce variables as much as possible so that I can produce the highest quality and most consistent print possible. This sounds like a potential disaster. I wouldn't risk my reputation on so many unknowns, but would provide a quote using my own gear.

· Registered
393 Posts
I've never heard of anything like this before!

Customer supplied garments, yes (but charge them a handling fee and make sure they provide overage).

Someone supplying the screens, no.
Supplying their own ink? No No No!

Not worth the hassle. Give them a price for the job with set-up, print and handling charge included and see what they say.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The guy hires someone to do his work, he has the equipment but doesn't want to do this any more. We have done this before but not sure about what we are charging per garment. We charge $2 for doing this. Just didn't know if we are making money, they are two colors, we normally do around 100 hoodies.

· Registered
349 Posts
So he hires you as a printer to use all of his equipment at his location?

Charge $15/hour per person (minimum) with a minimum payment of $75 per person or whatever you think would be the time it should take to print these, to make sure it's worth your while since your not making as much as you would doing everything yourself.

He's paying your labor but also for your expertise.

· Registered
199 Posts
The guy hires someone to do his work, he has the equipment but doesn't want to do this any more. We have done this before but not sure about what we are charging per garment. We charge $2 for doing this. Just didn't know if we are making money, they are two colors, we normally do around 100 hoodies.
I'm going to send you all my printing if your only charging 2 bucks on a hoodie for two colors!!!!!!!

· Registered
211 Posts
I would charge for the screens, setup, printing, and figure how long it will take to do the job
I have an $80 an hour charge, no matter what the project is.
So I figure out how to make the charge at least $80.
Now i just say, $80 for small jobs and more for larger, just for screens and printing.

If the client brings in their own items, and wants just a few, that's what I charge, and if it's too much, they try elsewhere.

I used to do small numbers of shirts for small prices. It was nice to customers, but it took time away from profitable jobs. If someone wants under just a few, I do say my minimum is 24 shirts, and that weeds out the small orders that don't make money.
I do print on customer supplied items, but it is a risk. I'm sure I can do a good job, but there are always mistakes.

· Registered
239 Posts
This sounds like the kind of nonsense I've been doing for the last year and a half...

My deal is that "sign guy" bought himself a bunch of hobby "professional" equipment and no idea how to screen print.

I started out just coming in to do things here and there, then it turned into a full time job... I'm not down with working for 18 bucks an hour so I finally cut loose and am getting garment equipment...

I still go in and do stuff, but the exposure unit is a joke, the dryer is physically impossible to fully cure and the "washout" is a laundry-tub in the electrical room...

I wish I could charge him 80 bucks an hour...

I charge him 20/h and bill from the second I drop the kids off until the second I step back in the door...

He's been charging 3.50 for the first colour and .25c each colour after that. 10 bucks a screen...

With his hokey operation he's barely making any money on a good day...

Sounds like if buddie doesn't want to do this anymore he should just give you a good deal on the equipment if it's any good...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.