T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How and how much to you charge for custom art work? I just designed two logos for a guy who said he was buying from me, I screen print, he then used my design for his logo, signs, cards, marketing and never purchased shirts from me. So how do you charge for your art work? I am new to this industry and still learning.

Sent from my iPhone using TShirtForums

·
Registered
130 Posts
He used your design before you were compensated for it? That doesn't sound right. I never give my clients files till I receive my check. Basically costing is a touch and go situation, you charge what you feel you are worth. I have a friend who charges $2,000 a logo no matter who it is (he loses work when they get his quote), me I base my cost of my client and their needs (you learn to feel them out in a meets to know what they are willing to spend) my range is anywhere from $250 (simple logo for low end client normally take about 2 hours) to $2500 for full one off custom logo with graphic and style.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually if you design the logo it is "YOUR" art work, you can take this guy to court for using your work without your permission. It is not his logo until you have sold the art and the rights and he has paid for your work. I would do some more search on the subject. I would also suggest the following book that has this type of info, it is called "Graphic Artist Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines". It has some awesome insight on your rights as an artist and how not to get ripped off by this type of people.

Personally I would speak with the guy and tell him nicely that you spent so many hours designing and doing research to come up with a design and that you will be billing him for your work. Also tell him that if he wants to continue using the logo he must buy the rights and art from you. Make sure you keep a log and save all your emails so that you record of your conversations in case you must take legal action. Hope this points you in the right direction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts