T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering putting some of my shirts in a shop. The thing is...it is not a retail or clothing store. The shop owner likes my shirts and would like me to put them in the shop, probably to help generate more traffic. I am not sure which direction to go-in the sense of pricing. I've heard they may want 50% but to me, that doesn't seem reasonable, only because I usually sell my shirts at a reasonable price to begin with, and If I have to fork over 50%...I'm loosing out on cost. But if I mark up the price, I'm afraid they won't sell like they would have, had I kept the price the same. How can I achieve a middle ground on pricing? I am assuming they want consignment. Details have not been talked over yet, but I want a direction to head in. I've read a few threads on here about consignment, but would it still apply if the shop has NOTHING to do with clothing or retail products? By the way, its a piercing/ tatoo shop just in case your wondering:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I am considering putting some of my shirts in a shop. The thing is...it is not a retail or clothing store. The shop owner likes my shirts and would like me to put them in the shop, probably to help generate more traffic. I am not sure which direction to go-in the sense of pricing. I've heard they may want 50% but to me, that doesn't seem reasonable, only because I usually sell my shirts at a reasonable price to begin with, and If I have to fork over 50%...I'm loosing out on cost. But if I mark up the price, I'm afraid they won't sell like they would have, had I kept the price the same. How can I achieve a middle ground on pricing? I am assuming they want consignment. Details have not been talked over yet, but I want a direction to head in. I've read a few threads on here about consignment, but would it still apply if the shop has NOTHING to do with clothing or retail products? By the way, its a piercing/ tatoo shop just in case your wondering:rolleyes:
Standard practice in retail is to at least double whatever you pay for it. The whole idea with consignment is generally you don't make money until the storekeeper does unless the item is damaged in the store (make sure you get the leverage to get reimbursued if this happens). Stick to whatever price you feel comfortable making money (I'd say at least double your cost) with, but don't expect to get what you would retail out of it from the shopkeeper, cause they're going to need to sell it for a profit as well, and if it's priced too high, it probably won't move.

I think the same would still apply for a tattoo shop, keep in mind, tattoos are one of the driving forces behind today's most sought after and highly priced shirts.

·
2,957 Posts
50% is extremely high for consignment. Yes, normally it is 50%, but that's when the store is buying the good out-right.

But to give them 50% when they're just displaying them for you, is high-way robbery!!!

If it were me I would offer them around 30-35%. Nope, if it were me, I would steer clear of consignment!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
50% is extremely high for consignment. Yes, normally it is 50%, but that's when the store is buying the good out-right.

But to give them 50% when they're just displaying them for you, is high-way robbery!!!

If it were me I would offer them around 30-35%. Nope, if it were me, I would steer clear of consignment!
I agree on steering clear from both perspectives (buyer and seller). We have a few items in our store on consignment, but we really prefer to either purchase the goods outright, or pass them by. The main reason (in my opinion) a storekeeper wants a consignment deal is so they can say "this isn't moving, take it away", which can be combated by either allowing small quantities or a reasonable price.

The one person we chose to allow items in our store on consignment is a sweet old granny who makes infant clothes, so we couldn't say no :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, well its seems like consignment is not really a good idea, not what I had n mind, but I'm going to try and see if they will just purchase and then sell. But just in case consignment does come up...I feel pretty confortable now after hearing a few replies from you guys, to just stick with abot 30-35%...
That was really what I had in mind to begin with, but I doubted myself thinking it was too low. That's what I'll propose...if not...well...time to move on, IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts