T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a project called Avalaunch which is aiming to solve some a number of problems that I believe you guys will probably be familiar with. Before I go forward though, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how big of a problem each is to you, if at all.

1. Pricing - determining what to charge per t-shirt
2. Customer Acquisition - obtaining new customers
3. Print Quantity - determining how many t-shirts to print

Thanks in advance.

And if anyone is up for skyping, my skype is avalaunchit.

· Registered
1,693 Posts
of those three, print quantity rates lowest for me, but i don't have a brand nor bang out thousand shirt orders (i would and will when/if the job comes). it doesn't worry me. had i a brand, for me personally, quantity wouldn't be an issue still. however, i have my own set-up and lots of screens, whereas not every has that, so basically printing on demand vs. keeping a stock will be a big issue. often that issue is resolved by having plastisol transfers made, meaning that they can put that transfer on any shirt. it keeps stock low, and the worst that can happen is they get stuck with the transfers.

pricing for me is always an issue. there is a lot of competition around. you just have to be wary of competitor's prices and price your stuff to be competitive without giving it away. for a brand, it's just what the market will bear. heh heh, i'll always remember the old 'life of riley' episode where they sold fruit for next to nothing, yet no one bought it. so they upped the price and sold out. comical, but true.

bringing in customers is the trick. there are so many variables and paths to go down it can drive a person to drink. 9 times out of ten what i'll see new brands on this board try to do is market themselves for free. and in a year will be asking why they can't sell any shirts. typically it's not the design so much as simply underfunding their site and advertising.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I have a follow up question for you.

Do you ever post any of your shirts on other marketplaces? eBay, ect...? Would you if there were no upfront costs, but say a 5% commission on sold t-shirts?

· Registered
1,693 Posts
i feel a sales pitch coming on, kris. :)

some ppl do the feebay thing, but it's not for me, at least for shirts.

yeah, there's only so much you can do to help your margins if you're selling at the right price. buy in bulk when possible and reduce your costs however you can... which often means equipment upgrades, but that's hard to do for most of us.

our biggest trophy competitor actually had us do most of their engraving at one point. it was just cheaper for them to outsource it and pay a little extra than to hire someone, maintain equipment and keep stock. (they subsequently went out of business, and that's where we got our screenprinting equipment at.) my point being that there's more than one way to skin a cat....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.