T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it seems like everyone is just undercutting each other here in town. I had someone that came to me and asked about 20 shirts one color on the front and one color on the back. I said 8 bucks a shirt. I then found out that another shop in town is going to do it for 6 bucks a shirt. they wanted to use a black gildan 2000 shirt with pink ink. i figured i would have to undercoat in white and then apply the pink so with time and printing coast i thought 8 bucks was a great deal...and i wasnt even goning to charge a step up fee or nothing...

can someone chime in and let me know what they would do this job for? where i may be going wrong and so forth....also what is a good profit per shirt?

· Registered
359 Posts
Stick to your price and compete on quality. There's this one lady here who's always undercutting me by ridiculous amounts - coming in at $5/shirt for 1 color, 3 locations on 24 shirts, for example. When people bring me her quotes, I tell them that my price comes with a quality guarantee, and I ask them to keep me in mind for their next order. Just about every single time they call me up and let me know they wish they'd paid the extra money and gotten it done right the first time.

Bottom line is, not all business is good business. Don't take crappy jobs or you'll hate your life and go broke. Never be afraid to say no, but make sure you explain your reasons as well.

· Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stick to your price and compete on quality. There's this one lady here who's always undercutting me by ridiculous amounts - coming in at $5/shirt for 1 color, 3 locations on 24 shirts, for example. When people bring me her quotes, I tell them that my price comes with a quality guarantee, and I ask them to keep me in mind for their next order. Just about every single time they call me up and let me know they wish they'd paid the extra money and gotten it done right the first time.

Bottom line is, not all business is good business. Don't take crappy jobs or you'll hate your life and go broke. Never be afraid to say no, but make sure you explain your reasons as well.

yeah i stand firm on my prices cause i am doing this as a side gig and i can afford not to have the head ache some of this can give you. i just wanted to make sure that i was in the right price range and i wanted to see where otheres pricing would be on this project. i called a couple shops in town and the price was from 6-10.50 a shirt. bust most shops have a set up fee and a minimum.

· Registered
215 Posts
yeah i stand firm on my prices cause i am doing this as a side gig and i can afford not to have the head ache some of this can give you. i just wanted to make sure that i was in the right price range and i wanted to see where otheres pricing would be on this project. i called a couple shops in town and the price was from 6-10.50 a shirt. bust most shops have a set up fee and a minimum.
Some customers just are not worth it, let them waste your competitor's time. Cheap prices attract cheap customers, and they are the worst kind to deal with.

· Registered
2,105 Posts
Some customers just are not worth it, let them waste your competitor's time. Cheap prices attract cheap customers, and they are the worst kind to deal with.
Although I will go cheap for some customers who I know have a lot of contacts in the business world.

I just printed 8 shirts (it was originally only going to be 6, but she went for 2 spares) front and back in a rush 3 day turnaround (my normal minimum is 12 shirts), I did all artwork and I charged peanuts. I let her know the normal price too, and that I was just doing her a favour, not making anything, (it's for a hen party).

She's now telling everyone what great service she got (which is true :) ), and asked if she could give my number out to her hairdresser who really wants some shirts for his business.

umm......ok! She must be telling everyone about the hen party and these great shirts that got designed for her! I know that this cheap job will earn way more for me through referrals than if I had just done a normal price.

BUT, I'm picky with who I will do this for..... You have to think strategically. Your time is very precious, make your work worth YOUR while!

Richie

· Registered
10,343 Posts
i wouldnt touch that for $6. offer to do the $8 when the $6 shirts fall apart.

· Registered
359 Posts
$8 is more than fair for two underbased prints - I'd have probably quoted $9 for that.

20VK raises a good point, though, in the power of selectively pricing jobs with regards to potential repeat business. I just did a job for a local church with a 3 location one color print for $7/shirt on 90 shirts. They were happy with the order, and now they've got 6 months of business for me doing VBS, choir, and family reunion shirts. I had to court them for 3 months and do two separate batches of sample shirts for them, but it was worth it to get the account.

· Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for everyones replies...i do understand having to cut deals to get customers and accounts but i just wanted to hear for some other people on this cause it just seems like 6 bucka shirt is so low, i do quality work and i use quailty shirts. i am all for giving a good deal but i cant lose either. to break even on a deal is a hard pill to swollow and i just hate to do something like that. i guess i am at the right price range and i will just stay firm in what i quote. and like some of you said i have to cut deals on some runs but i can t do that on every run i do for everyone...thanks for th einput once again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.