T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys need help pricing 500 to 1000 shirts
colored shirts ( no black ) white ink - one side
thanks guys - you have no clue how meny probs. have been solved because of you guys and this site. hopefully i'll be able to pitch in soon

·
Registered
383 Posts
What process?

Screen printing I assume?
What shirts?
What color shirts?
What sizez?
One side or two?
How large is the image or print?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
scrennprinting yes
4now jerzee 50/50
logo whill be about 11 inch across x4inch
shirt sizes med. lrg. and xl

·
Registered
675 Posts
I would suggest you purchase the shirts yourself from a wholesaler like Broder Bros, Alpha Shirts, etc, and find a screen printer with an automatic press, ans drop ship the shirts to the printer. It should cost you approx. .60-.80 per print, plus shipping charges, and cost of shirt.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would suggest you purchase the shirts yourself from a wholesaler like Broder Bros, Alpha Shirts, etc, and find a screen printer with an automatic press, ans drop ship the shirts to the printer. It should cost you approx. .60-.80 per print, plus shipping charges, and cost of shirt.
Yes and No! I would first figure out the total cost that the printer will charge you including shipping to handle acquiring the t-shirts. The cost of you drop shipping the shirts to him when he may have a source close by that stocks the same shirt may be cheaper than you going through the hassle of having to order the shirts yourself. Also, any damages that the wholesaler sends you will be your responsibility to replace. If the printer orders them than they are his responsibility.

John

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yes and No! I would first figure out the total cost that the printer will charge you including shipping to handle acquiring the t-shirts. The cost of you drop shipping the shirts to him when he may have a source close by that stocks the same shirt may be cheaper than you going through the hassle of having to order the shirts yourself. Also, any damages that the wholesaler sends you will be your responsibility to replace. If the printer orders them than they are his responsibility.

John
not always

I know most screen printers upsell the shirts to add more profit. I have yet to seen a screen printer sell the shirts for cost.

are you printing them for someone else or your own line?

·
Registered
70 Posts
not always

I know most screen printers upsell the shirts to add more profit. I have yet to seen a screen printer sell the shirts for cost.

at that rate dark tees would be under 3 dollars

order your shirts yourself..find that company that give you free shipping...they are out there.

find someone to print them for a dollar a piece or less!

·
Registered
268 Posts
not always

True but depending on where he is in relation to the printer, the shipping charges may exceed what the printer is upcharging for the shirts.

John

·
Registered
354 Posts
i'm printing
then take the cost of your shirt, cost of ink, cost of your time and cost of anything extra you need to add(utility, cost of matinace and stuff). That will be your base cost then you can add how much profit you want ontop of that.

If you charge 50 cents for your profit you will make 250.

True but depending on where he is in relation to the printer, the shipping charges may exceed what the printer is upcharging for the shirts.

John
usually when you are ordering 500+ shirts you are going to get free shipping and if not you should try and find a differant wholesaler. I know several that will give you free shipping after $150 worth of shirts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can give you MY correct price for the job. Which makes no differecne at all to your question.

What is important is that you make as much money as you can on this and every job you print.

So, figure YOUR cost and add the Profit YOU want to make then sell the job. Will you win every job? NO, will you go broke printing shirts at what someone tells you your profit should be? NO.

So be careful trying to print at the price somebody else can make money at, because you may not be able to. Just my opioion. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I can give you MY correct price for the job. Which makes no differecne at all to your question.

What is important is that you make as much money as you can on this and every job you print.

So, figure YOUR cost and add the Profit YOU want to make then sell the job. Will you win every job? NO, will you go broke printing shirts at what someone tells you your profit should be? NO.

So be careful trying to print at the price somebody else can make money at, because you may not be able to. Just my opioion. Hope it helps.
you said your where printing yourself are you just asking to see what other would cahrge on average...

obvious if you order shirts on a wholesale rate you can up the price to retail on the tee or charge a flat rate for print... given the bulk discount rate. people here my city think 10 dollars a tee at 100 tees one color one location is a good deal....lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
3 to 3.25 a shirt seems good,as long as my retailer drops the cost beings i'm ordering in bulk - i will be using white ink thou so i read somewhere that i should add a 25% flash charge

·
Registered
18 Posts
You've already received a bunch of good responses, but I will add that time is a big factor as well. 1000 4-color shirts on a manual press with small drier can take a while. An automatic with a larger drier can take a lot less time and allow more time for other jobs.

Also, is this a client that you would probably get future, regular business with? If so, you may want to give them a good price and let them know that you are pricing less than your other jobs because you want to build a relationship with them, etc.

I have a "base" price list that I adjust based on the client and other factors [shipping charges are going up :-( ]

Good luck!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
If YOU are printing yourself, buying from a Wholesale, Colored shirts NO black, regular sizes (no extracharge for 2XL +), one location also.
I'm suggesting to get total cost of production + shipping charges and use the simple rule of adding a 100% of profit.
So if your total cost was $2.15 + $0.35 per shirt for shipments, total of production per shirts is equal to $2.50; add a 100% profit, now you have a cost of $5.00 per shirt. Give them some discounts since they are buying 500 pieces and you are making good money out of this deal.

·
Registered
354 Posts
3 to 3.25 a shirt seems good,as long as my retailer drops the cost beings i'm ordering in bulk - i will be using white ink thou so i read somewhere that i should add a 25% flash charge
it is going to depend on some of the details. If you get your shirts for 3 bucks thats not so hot. If you get them for 1.50 that might not be bad.

How many shirts can you do in an hour?

25% for a flashing fee? I have never heard of that before. It doesn't sound like that is necessary. you could add 15-25 bucks for a screen setup fee but usually when people order larger amounts it gets dropped. I would personally not add any fees.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Also, is this a client that you would probably get future, regular business with? If so, you may want to give them a good price and let them know that you are pricing less than your other jobs because you want to build a relationship with them, etc.
That really depends how busy you are.

I think you need to be careful with large orders: depending on the business you're running they could be fantastic, or they could be terrible.

If you aren't working near capacity, have down time, need work, etc. then large jobs are great because you know you'll be bringing in money for that time.

On the other hand if you actually do quite a bit of business, have plenty of 20-100 shirt orders coming in to keep you busy, etc. then large orders aren't so great.

If you earn $25/hr doing a large order, and $50/hr doing a small order, then every hour you spend doing the large order is a $25 loss if you could have otherwise been running smaller orders.

So... how busy you are is a factor in whether or not lowballing the quote to get a large order is a good idea.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts