T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I seem to have a problem that many people involved in design businesses face. The problem is determining what is a fair price to both myself and my client. I feel that my prices are reasonable, however, I would just like to hear what others have to say.

First off, I will provide some information pertaining to the design. The design can be viewed here:

[media]http://www.prestigeinteractive.com/eagles/EaglesShirt.jpg[/media]

Click on image to see a larger version.

a) The logo was created by myself. I used the Philadelphia Eagles logo as a starting point and tailored it into a somewhat original design.
b) The logo is a two colour image.
c) The logo was for a school with two campuses and therefore needed to have slightly different text on the top of the image. This therefore required three screens.

The shirts were FTL Heavy Cotton. I know a lot of people have great wholesalers, and mine is ok in Canada, but I'm not buying shirts as cheap as some printers I see posting on this site. Youth sizes are about $2.50 and adult sizes are about $2.75 or so.

I ended up charging the client $9.00 a shirt. This included the graphic design, and developing of each of the design's screens.

I would love to know what you would charge for such work, and the rationale behind it.

Please be sensitive in your responses, as I am wanting to learn what is the best practice for the business. As a web designer, I know there are people that price themselves so low that they do a disservice to the rest of us trying to sustain a business.

Thanks for your time,

GW

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think the Philadelphia Eagles/NFL legal department would like to have a word with you for IP infringement. Unless you have a license, agreement etc with them you are opening up yourself to at the minimum a C&D letter, at the worst a lawsuit. Recreation of IP property is a slippery slope which won't end in your favor, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't think you are getting what I am saying. You cannot without written/contractual permission, unless you want to go rogue and hope something doesn't happen, recreate in ANY WAY IP. Per example you cannot even do an outline of said teams logo and reproduce it. You can do what you want, but asking for "advise" or "thoughts" on a design that even slightly infringes on IP on these forums isn't a good idea. Best of luck.. well not really.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sadly, I didn't think the Eagle looks like the Philly Eagle. The text is presented like any sports team in the NFL or NBA, and even some NHL teams. However, with that being said, I don't want to get myself in trouble, so if a moderator deems this logo inappropriate, please feel free to remove the post, and I will correct my error. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. As mentioned there are two campuses. Therefore there will be two designs. This only effects the black ink. The white is there only for the eagle.

With that being said, one design will have about 60 shirts, while the other will be about 90-100.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't think you are getting what I am saying. You cannot without written/contractual permission, unless you want to go rogue and hope something doesn't happen, recreate in ANY WAY IP. Per example you cannot even do an outline of said teams logo and reproduce it. You can do what you want, but asking for "advise" or "thoughts" on a design that even slightly infringes on IP on these forums isn't a good idea. Best of luck.. well not really.
Lets help him work out the prices you told them once now lets anwer his question . Yeah its best he doesnt infringe on ip but thats for him to decide now that he knows lets help him and use this as an example not the actual product and hope he changes his design a litle or something but critizing over and over doesnt help any one . Cant stand when people answer what was not asked. iN an earlyier post you made a cartoon of some one with a captin morgan bottle didnt see any one critizing you so lets all take it easy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm not really understanding if this is a one or two color print but I will give an opinion for both. Let us us "guesstimate" that your total order will be 150 shirts. For me, a one color print on that order would total $1220.....$8 per shirt + $20 screen charge. For a two color (such as your design suggest) it would be an extra $3 per shirt for the second color (no second screen charge) which, of course would come to a total of $1670. I'm in Alabama and that would be in-line with the market here (actually in the middle) but as you know this pricing game can rank up there with rocket science.....Oh...by the way...I don't think you'll be getting any calls from he Philadelphia Eagles......I hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Wisdom. It is two color print on a green shirt. I had to make three screens because there needed to be two different school campus names in the order. One order of 69, and the second of 104. My price that I quoted worked out to be around $1587. I appreciate your willingness to take a moment to look at this.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I think the Philadelphia Eagles/NFL legal department would like to have a word with you for IP infringement. Unless you have a license, agreement etc with them you are opening up yourself to at the minimum a C&D letter, at the worst a lawsuit. Recreation of IP property is a slippery slope which won't end in your favor, just my 2 cents.

I highly doubt you are going to have a problem. It doesn't even look like the Eagles symbol. There are hundreds of teams called the Eagles. Eventually there has to be another team that has a logo that is similar or that uses an eagle head.
I doubt that was the point of this thread so i'll continue on...
I think your pricing is fine... how many shirts are you doing? that makes a big difference in pricing for me at least.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Looks good!

Some people just don't like the way their life is working out and try to be the "Vigilante" I hate the attitude these people get on the internet so negative and pessimistic. There will always be little tattles everywhere you go, I wouldn't put it past one to go and rat on you... pathetic

But I am actually curious what is the right way to go about getting permission for making team logo shirts like NFL, etc

I think you got a good price for those. I just did a 24 shirt job Black Shirts with White INK one Layer - Front Chest location I quoted them at 186 and I'm covering Tax. They are a band and from what I hear bands can be hell to deal with.

although I don't know how much time you have into the artwork.

If anyone has had good luck with getting approval for LOGOs etc of Teams let me know how to go about doing it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Lets get this down.

Different art is a different job/set-up.

How many set-ups
How many pieces for each
What color of shirt
What kind of shirt

·
Registered
373 Posts
With the information that I can pick out of this thread, I would quote this job at about $999 before taxes and shipping (if necessary).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts