T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was asked for a quote for a very large order.
1,500 to 2,500 shirts.

customer wants a price for both.

white shirts, one color front, 3 color back.

what would the 2,500 order cost per shirt vs the 1,500???

Also, how does such a large quantity affect markup on blanks?

No setup fees for such a large order right?

Cheers!!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
WOW... i hope you land that huge order...I wouldnt know how to price that one ...but i would suggest for you to call your sales rep for the company you will be ordering that amout of tees from and see what kind of price they are willing to give you.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Seems like I have been giving more example quotes than actual quotes :rolleyes:

True, it is a large order to quote. But, it is still an order and I would approach it the same way I would an order of 10 shirts.

I would quote this job at about $5,315 for the 1,500 order.

For the 2,500 order, I would quote at around $6,315.

If you would like me to break it down further for you, let me know!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please do break it down!

what do you think about markup on the shirts for such a large order?
Waive setup fees?

·
Registered
32 Posts
It all depends on whether you are doing the or farming it, 2500 for 2.52 a piece is a little low, if you have to farm it out you wont make much, probably less than 20% net profit maybe 25% if you do it yourself. 1500 for 3.54 is a bit better 35% profit, and always remember that front and back means more handling, if you have some one working for you, its more money out of your pocket. We use a profit calculator to measure potential profit /loss; 50 work hours manual printing, 4 hours handling. 832.00 paid out to labor, $1995.00 for 1.33 a shirt, 105.00 for ink, total cost 2932.00 , net profit 2378.00. Using an automatic, would cut that cost projectiion in half, Making the cost more profitable but 4 hours for handling doesnt change. The cost breakdown is something a tshirt quoter could help you quote a job.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Please do break it down!

what do you think about markup on the shirts for such a large order?
Waive setup fees?
I do not waive set-up fees. Why should I? I'm still burning screens whether it is 1 t-shirt or 1 million.

I have my own price list breakdown which is how I quote.

So,

1,500 White Gildan T-Shirts = $3.50 per shirt.

1st screen burned (Set-up) = $25 (no matter how large the order is)

Each screen used after that is an additional $10 per screen. So, assuming that each screen used will be a different color and design, 4 screens are needed. (1 for the front, 3 screens for the back)

Total screen charges = $25+$10+$10+$10= $55

Normal film charge = $10

Grand Total = $5,315 before taxes, shipping, etc...

Do the same for the 2,500 t-shirt order, except per shirt cost is $2.50.

It all depends on whether you are doing the or farming it, 2500 for 2.52 a piece is a little low, if you have to farm it out you wont make much, probably less than 20% net profit maybe 25% if you do it yourself. 1500 for 3.54 is a bit better 35% profit, and always remember that front and back means more handling, if you have some one working for you, its more money out of your pocket.
I never farm out orders unless we are overwhelmed with orders or if the customer is requesting a service that we do not provide (obviously :rolleyes:)

Also, I do all the printing. Family run business in which I do most of the manual labor. Works out great when it comes to final profit! :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the breakdowns!
Your quotes are pretty much in the range I quoted the customer.
They are a large franchised company in canada, and its their head of marketing that contacted me, so this order could be the first of many!
I'll let you all know if I get the job
fingers crossed
Thanks again for your input!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I do not waive set-up fees. Why should I? I'm still burning screens whether it is 1 t-shirt or 1 million.

I have my own price list breakdown which is how I quote.

So,

1,500 White Gildan T-Shirts = $3.50 per shirt.

1st screen burned (Set-up) = $25 (no matter how large the order is)

Each screen used after that is an additional $10 per screen. So, assuming that each screen used will be a different color and design, 4 screens are needed. (1 for the front, 3 screens for the back)

Total screen charges = $25+$10+$10+$10= $55

Normal film charge = $10

Grand Total = $5,315 before taxes, shipping, etc...

Do the same for the 2,500 t-shirt order, except per shirt cost is $2.50.

I never farm out orders unless we are overwhelmed with orders or if the customer is requesting a service that we do not provide (obviously :rolleyes:)

Also, I do all the printing. Family run business in which I do most of the manual labor. Works out great when it comes to final profit! :D
How long would it take you to print the 2500 shirts on a manual press?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I knock off 1 screen fee or a 10% off the screen fees + artwork, when I am bidding on 1000 or more shirts. It is totally worth a discount to get a large qty. I also would have my shirt vender bring down their price on the shirt. Then I would use the same mark-up plan as normal. If I was to sub it out, again I would get my printer to give me a better price than normal too.

·
Registered
373 Posts
They are a large franchised company in canada, and its their head of marketing that contacted me, so this order could be the first of many!
That is very exciting! It could be your big break! Keep us updated! :D

How long would it take you to print the 2500 shirts on a manual press?
Non-stop, about a day. Stop and go, probably about 2-4 days. It's a lot of shirts, but once you get in that groove it starts to move faster and faster.

I knock off 1 screen fee or a 10% off the screen fees + artwork, when I am bidding on 1000 or more shirts. It is totally worth a discount to get a large qty.
I do agree with you. I probably could knock off a set-up fee or waive the film charges. If it was a repeat customer, I would probably start waiving fees and throwing around discounts.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
That is very exciting! It could be your big break! Keep us updated! :D

Non-stop, about a day. Stop and go, probably about 2-4 days. It's a lot of shirts, but once you get in that groove it starts to move faster and faster.

I do agree with you. I probably could knock off a set-up fee or waive the film charges. If it was a repeat customer, I would probably start waiving fees and throwing around discounts.
On a manual, there's no way you're going to print those in a day, let alone stack, restack, and pack them. I really don't see two days.

·
Registered
766 Posts
On a manual, there's no way you're going to print those in a day, let alone stack, restack, and pack them. I really don't see two days.
I tend to agree with Ridgely. My bottleneck is not my printing speed, it's my dryer or the fold and pack. It's almost everything other than the actual printing.

How many shirts per hour can you put through your dryer? How many people do you have helping with the non-printing aspects? Loading shirts on the press, unpack, fold, pack?

But the questions wasn't time it was price. I'd be around $3.85 +-. Maybe slightly lower if this was the first of many. If it was one of a kind $4.00.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So much good information, this forum is priceless...
I agree with the loading, packing and unpacking aspect... These take so much time when doing over 1000 t's...
Once i get into a printing rythm on my manual, i can print really fast.
Im also lucky to have a large capacity conveyor that still outperforms me even at me fastest printing speed.

I was recently given a automatic press! it's old, and arrow multiprinter, but since i payed nothing for it, my plan is to have it setup professionaly with the profit from this job ( if i do get it), thereby making any future large orders much easier.

I know there are better machines out there, its a really old one, but it seems to also be very easy to fix, no compressor or air drives, and anyway i can't afford a newer machine at this point.

·
Registered
373 Posts
To print the 1,500 order, two days is very possible.(assuming that there are no other orders needed to be printed) Yes, folding and preparing for packing will take a lot more time but to only print the shirts is possible in two days. At least in my opinion it is :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
3000 prints (1500 front and back) in 2 days on a manual???
Make the job as easy on yourself as possible. Limit the colors as much as possible and if you can help it, no flashing.

Is the design real detailed? does it have half tones, etc.? Can you print it wet on wet? Can you print it on a 230 mesh (less ink to deal with)?

I'd say YES! you can do 1500 two sided on a manual in two days. You will work some overtime but I would take the job and do it. It wold help to have a helper catch and fold. You will need to print a shirt every 1.5min. You can do that!

Prepare yourself for some long hours. You don't need to worry about folding the first side, just stack them. I'd print the 1-color side or side with less ink on it first. That way you can wip them out pritty fast.

Or, another way to look at it is: save the 1-color side for last. Have a second screen burned and ready on the press, so if you see you are running out of time you can always have your helper start a 2nd printing station on the same press.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts