T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still waiting for my Fast T-jet 2 to arrive and I have been reading and watching videos to learn and prepare for when the machine arrives. I have watched a few videos on how to properly pretreat a shirt. Each video they use a Wagner power sprayer and spray on top and then the bottom of the shirt (only if you are going to print on the whole front). Now reading these forums they say it is bad to have an overlap of pretreatment and that is why a machine like the SpeedTreater is recommended. So my question is why can't you just turn the shirt sideways and spray the pretreatment with one pass?

Next I have been reading that the T-Jet 2 can print on Golf balls, Tennis Balls, Insulated beverage coolers and a few other odd shaped items. Seeing that my business is a home based business and the fact that I work at a school, I am sure I could sell some of those items. I have looked on the Internet and looked over Equipment Zone's website (where I'm getting the printer from), and don't see any kind of platen or jig for the T-Jet 2. So has what I have read wrong? Or is there a trick to getting these items into a T-Jet 2? Also in my reading it mentions an aerosol pretreatment spray for the non textile items like golf balls but I can't seem to find that either. Has anyone ever heard of doing these items Safely on a T-Jet 2?

I do plan in the near future to buy a pad printer to do the mentioned items but I figured if the T-Jet 2 can do them then I'll start offering those items as well. I also assume that the ink would just air dry on the golf ball? By any chance could the T-Jet 2 print on rubber balloons or do the balloons need a special rubber ink? Thanks everyone! These forums have been a huge help with my business.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Here is what you are looking for..

EMB Supplies : Embroidery Machines : Embroidery Supplies: DTG Accessories

Now, the DTG Kiosk 2 which is the fraternal twin of T Jet 2 the golf ball platen came with our kit, so it may come with yours

If not its available at embsupplies.com or coleman and company..DTG Golf Ball Jig: Colman and Company - Discount Commercial Embroidery Supplies - Machine Embroidery Supplies Catalog (same company)

As far as pretreat.. look up on you tube for some demonstration videos(or research the forums) We actually had a friend of ours who paints cars for a living and he showed us the proper way to hold the spray gun and how to properly spray the pretreat. We have never had a pretreat problem ever since that day.

You will have to find a technique that works for you. Are you going to training for the printer? I am sure you will learn the basics there..

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I'm sure Equipment Zone will have everything you will need to be able to print on golfs. Its also a very simple process. There are many non textile items that you can print on, it just takes some R&D.
As far as pretreating shirts with the wagner, you can turn the nozzle so that it sprays horizontal so that you can spray top to bottom. Some people just like doing it left to right. As long as it gets an even spray then it will work fine.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot everyone! It is good to know that the stuff is easy to come by.

FatKat Printz, to answer your question: No, unfortunately I will not be going to any training for the printer. I am out in Western New York between Rochester and Buffalo and we just don't have anywhere in this section of the State (to my knowledge), that deals or sells this equipment or screen printing, sublimation or anything of the alike. I have heard of Reich Supply (Home) and also QLT/CASI (www.qlt.com), but there just isn't any place that has equipment like this or training for the equipment out here. Not to mention any suppliers here in NY (not all of them), cost far more than buying out of State. NY State is just so expensive to do business in.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
From Mike in our Support Department:

I have printed on non-textiles, and created the profiles for doing so. In the inkjet world, printing on non-textiles does require certain steps. Just like printing on plain bond paper vs. coated papers on any inkjet printer, the substrate (golf balls, tiles, anything etc.) requires the surface be "prepped" with a coating to accept the inks. Think of it as a sort of an emulsion to accept the inks (as in "coated" substrates in regular inkjet printers. Glossy papers have a coating, and waterproof banner materials all have a "coating" in them in order to accept the inks and keep them). It usually needs to be coated manually with a brush, and needs a UV sealant spray applied to it after the ink dries.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been reading the manuals that came with my T-Jet 2 and watching the videos. There is a section in the manual where they are printing on tennis balls. It doesn't appear to be on the same golf ball jig. Is there a different jig for tennis balls as well?

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
With the T-Jet 2 you have a 4 inch deep tray where you insert the shirt holder. I have seen people use a cardboard cup holder (the kind that holds 4 cups from a fast food place). Just place the cup holder in the tray, place the tennis balls in the cup holder openings, and raise the tray to the proper height.

Harry
Equipment Zone

·
Registered
156 Posts
How long do you leave the pre treatment before you put the golf ball through the printer.

Then how long after printing before you over spray with the post treatment.

Final part..... do any of you guys play golf with balls you have treated ? if so how does the print hold up or did you loose the ball before you had a chance to find out :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
HI, I have done quite a few golf balls. I have tried a number of things. The best results I had after the treatment. I put them in the oben at about 170 degrees. My lowest setting on my oven. Left them there for a couple of hours. I had the same guy test tho em for me with all methods. He said this lasted the best for him. At the end of the day you could still see the print. Personally, I think you need to offer these as a novelty item. Add pizzaz to a basket or special gift. Just be sure and tell your client, these really are just for looks!!! To anyone that has had better results, let me know. I would be more than glad to try anything. UH, let me rephrase that!! If and when I ever get my TJet 2 up and running again. We have a hate, hate relationship. I hate it, it hates me!!!! Vickid

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experiences Vickid.

I play golf and some of the logo's on mine (not printed by me) last a long time but I don't know what method was used to put them on possibly pad but not sure. Can you tell by looking at them.

I was not sure if baking them would change the properties f the ball as many have liquid centers and I am not sure what 170C does to rubber either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I play golf and some of the logo's on mine (not printed by me) last a long time but I don't know what method was used to put them on possibly pad but not sure. Can you tell by looking at them.
- Pad printing Golf balls: The edge of artwork is sharp. High quality. Usually 2 or 3 colors. Too expensive to set up plates.
- Inkjet printing Golf balls: The edge of artwork is blur. Not so great quality. You can see the ink dots. Printing space is limit, less than one inch. Print full color, no set up charge.
I don't know anything about T Jet. For Logojet, it uses oil-base ink, need to pre-spray and post spray, don't need to heat cure. It'll last long time. Most golfers lost their balls after a round anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts