T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked through countless threads and maybe I've missed it...how much pretreat is too much...how much is too little? Does anyone have a video showing how much you need? Can you pretreat your shirts ahead (days or weeks) and leave them be till you need them? Should you wash the shirts after they are pretreated and printed before you give them to someone?
I know they are basic questions, but I'm tired of reading threads that dont have the answers.
THANKS!

·
Registered
804 Posts
"I've looked through countless threads and maybe I've missed it...how much pretreat is too much...how much is too little?"
Figuring out how much is too little is easy, because you will see the ink "dive" into the fabric which affects image quality (the white ink layer will look grey and spotty). Determining what too much pretreatment is is a little more difficult. The printed image will look fantastic because there is a thicker layer of the pretreatment, but will not wash well. The thicker layer of pretreatment will keep the ink from adhering to the product.

"Does anyone have a video showing how much you need?"
There are videos online that demonstrate the pretreatment process, but there will be an issue of the differences between different brands and knits of the product. This is why it is important to do wash tests with any brand/style of garment you will be printing.

"Can you pretreat your shirts ahead (days or weeks) and leave them be till you need them?"
There is no problem with doing this. We pretreat our t-shirts well in advance of trade shows and find no issue. I just heat press them for a couple of seconds before printing to get rid of any wrinkles.

"Should you wash the shirts after they are pretreated and printed before you give them to someone?"
I don't know of anyone doing this...I guess you COULD, but there may be a perception that it's not a "new" product.

"I know they are basic questions, but I'm tired of reading threads that dont have the answers.
THANKS!"
You're welcome.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Pretreatment is a black art.
Nobody should be allowed to pratice it.

Aside from that, go to youtube. Watch the video for the new ViperOne pretreat gizmo. It has a picture perfect shot of what perfection should look like.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.