T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just getting into pressing onsite for kids sporting events. Last event I started offering lettering to the back of the tees... I use the lettering kits purchased from transfer express. My technique was to use the t-square it. It worked fine but I know their are other ways people do this... The problems I encountered were when I'd have it all aligned and maybe as I lifted the t-square I would slightly bump the letters out of alignment, not most the time but enough to know there's a better way! Also at times when I would cover with the teflon sheet they would slightly move and I'd have to realign all over again. Not to mention that due to the static electricity coming off the teflon sheet it would periodically want to lift the letters up to it just as I would lay it over, thus again causing me to re-align! I know I've seen people working other events using a method with tape or something? I know I've read other posts where people were talking about using 12 inch masks and other things but what I saw was someone using like an inch or so wide tape and aligning the letter on that then putting it to the shirt and pressing. Obviously this would solve my movement after alignment problem... My question is what type of tape were they using and where did they purchase it? What do you use as a guide to make sure your aligning it straight on the tape? And if anyone does on-site pressing, how do you minimize the process of offering lettering not allowing it to slow you down so much? So if someone could inform me on the type of tape I'm looking for and where to buy it along with how they use it... For example when using transfer express letters do you peel first then stick to tape or leave paper backing on? Does anybody know of any videos of this process? Any advise would be much appreciated! "Jeez guys!" real sorry for the long post! :eek:

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I have seen people use a board or a wide ruler to place the names on and tape them together and place them on the shirt. The tape used is the heat tape. I know a cutter is a expense, but placement would be quicker and you could more done in tha same amount of time. I think either method will work. Good luck .... JB

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have seen people use a board or a wide ruler to place the names on and tape them together and place them on the shirt. The tape used is the heat tape. I know a cutter is a expense, but placement would be quicker and you could more done in tha same amount of time. I think either method will work. Good luck .... JB
How exactly would a cutter speed things up? Is it just because it eleminates the peeling process? Not as familiar with vinyl cutters as of yet?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I would think a cutter would work out better. It would allow you to cut and weed any name on site without having to inventory different letters. It may not be faster considering you have to cut and weed but typically names are pretty quick and easy to weed.

The ability to just have various rolls of colored vinyl available and not having to worry about running out of different letters would be a plus.

Of course, you would the expense of a cutter....

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
You would line the entire name up at once to make sure it was straight. You would have no need to worry about proper spacing either. .... JB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts