T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I found this site this morning and have found all of you to be extreamly helpful. I work full time and have recently had a child. My wife and I would like to start a T Shirt buisness working from home. We have looked at different methods of printing and are not sure what would be more beneficial. The silkscreen seems to offer a better quality product but with more work and money. The press seems easiest for her to use. We will be doing mostly childrens clothes. We have several designs and do not want to mass produce yet. We feel that hiring a service to print 1 or 2 shirts of a particular style would be costly`with set up fees. With the press we can do one off of many different stlyes. We welcome any and all sugestions relating to this topic.

Thank You,

Jason

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would start out with the heat press, if that goes good, you can always expand. (You may or may not like doing it) Thats how i have started, i'm not ready to buy the screen equipment yet, but if you have never done either, i would suggest mastering the heat press before moving on to the screening.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you
One of my main questions is if I go with heat press then I would be able to make one shirt and save the artwork and just print and press when needed. Is this correct and is this something that is usually done.

This site is amazing.

Jason

·
Registered
950 Posts
Yes, I would say that is how it is usually done if you are using transfers. If you have a design that seems to sell well, then you can take the next step and have them screen printed. You will know which designs to screen print, and which ones that will remain as transfers. You can also look into plastisol transfers when doing a quantity of a design. If you are doing dark colored clothing then go straight to plastisol transfers.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Take a look at PrintMojo. I think it's a pretty good deal if you need a site, merchant processing, and shipping. A minimum of 24 shirts is not too much to swallow. Especially starting out w/ one or two color shirts.

If you start selling one thing (transfers) and start building loyal customers, what happens when you make the switch to screen printing? If you want to eventually sell quality, why not start w/ it?

Sure it's a little harder... but you already work full time, have a wife, and a child! How much harder can it get?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the response. We plan on printing them our selves at our home. Starting out as something to keep my wife from going back to the 9-5 and putting the baby in daycare. We have pretty much decided to go with the press because of all the info we have found on this site. Now I am trying to contact the infamous Cindy for some help with the type of printer ink and paper. Any suggestions please let me know. Also, web hosting and e commerce.\

Jason

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
webhosting and ecommerce deserves a separate topic all together :)

You'll find some good suggestions in past threads if you search for hosting :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I'm a newbie here. I do not have a business yet but i'm planning to. I am still studying everything about silkscreening. My dad used to print shirts by that method. I alaways have the passion for creating something my own and would love to hear more tips and advises from the seniors in this industry. I will post some questions later.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts