T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ever tried to publicise your t-shirt site with a press release? I know they can vary alot in price depending on size and geographical coverage, but it could be a good way to get some exposure and links all over the internet. If you're lucky, some hack might take a fancy to your designs and actuall write about them.

In my day job I have to read a lot of press releases (no - I'm not a journalist) so I though I would write a not very serious one for the launch of my site. What do you think? It's on my blog at the moment. I'm semi-wondering whether or not to pay to actually release it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I went to prweb and made a press release. I even paid $40 to upgrade it a little. A short while ago, I received an email telling me that my PR had received 4/5 for editorial content and that I would receive certain upgrades because of this (some Googling later shows that getting 4/5 is not uncommon).

It is a slightly modified version of the one posted above and it goes out on Tuesday. I will post it here once it goes out.
From googling around some people seem to get fantastic responses and some people seem to get nothing. I will let you know how my $40 PR delivers.

Out of interest, why has this thread been move to 'site reviews'? I don't have anything to be reviewed - I just want to discuss the pros and cons of PRs...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Despotte said:
probably because you started out asking for a review of your first PR letter. :)
Oh, right fair enough. I wasn't really wanting a 'real' reviews because at that time it was really meant as a kind of joke!;)

I would have thought that this thread would make a good addition to the marketing section, but it's kind of hard to discuss PRs and give and example of what has (or hasn't - I'll let you know) worked, without posting what is technically a 'self promotional URL'. Perhaps it can be moved back to marketing with the link to my original PR removed?:eek:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well, the Press Release went out during the week. It was slightly modified version of the 'joke' one.

So first off, I spent $40 one it, which gives it a greater distribution and allows you to have web links (but not html work links) to you site (ie anything www. is a link).

I received an email telling me my PR had been reviewed and got an editorial score of 4/5. Read around on Google and this is not uncommon.

For this upgrade I got an extra $40 worth of exposure, which put my PR on Google news and Yahoo news etc.

PRWeb give you statistics on how many times your PR has supposedly been accessed.

Reads 46,056 This number tells you how many times your press release was accessed from our site and other distribution points where we have the ability to measure a click through. This number does not include the number of journalists who have received your release through email. In addition there are online distribution points that we currently have no ability to track. Estimated Pickup 468 This number estimates the number of times your press release was picked up by a media outlet. This does not tell you how many times your story appears in the media. It simply attempts to estimate media interest of your release. Prints 3

This is the number of times that someone has printed your press release. We measure this by the number of times that the "printer friendly version" link is pressed. In reality, only a small percentage of users actually click this link before printing a release. Forwards 0 This is the number of times that someone has forwarded your press release to a third party using the link on your press release. PDF Downloads 34 The number of times your release was downloaded as a PDF document. PDF Downloads may be reflected in "Reads" and "Estimated Pickup" statistics.
Sorry I just pasted that in and now it looks a bit of a mess. Hope you can read it. So my PR was read 46,000 times? I doubt it but it looks impressive.

So did I get many more visitors to the site? Well, it's not hard to create a visitor spike to a new site. I think 30-40 people visited the site through the PR. Not very impressive, I'm sure you'll agree.

I got one email from a Chicago based magazine. I think they just wanted to sell me advertsing, but they haven't got back to me again yet.

I'm hoping that the real value will be in getting my url out there a bit and getting more sites linking to mine. However, most of the links seem to be RSS feeds, so I don't think they stick around for long or are particuarly valuable.

So was it worth it? Probably not, but it was quite cool to have my PR on Yahoo News!:D

If you Google around about PRWeb there are various people sugesting tactics for successful campaigns. One of the suggestionse seems to be to submit 2-3 PRs a week for several weeks, and include links to all the PRs in each successive one. That way the oldest one will have loads of links to it and will send many more people to your site than the newst one. Or something like that...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.