T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ever tried to publicise your t-shirt site with a press release? I know they can vary alot in price depending on size and geographical coverage, but it could be a good way to get some exposure and links all over the internet. If you're lucky, some hack might take a fancy to your designs and actuall write about them.

In my day job I have to read a lot of press releases (no - I'm not a journalist) so I though I would write a not very serious one for the launch of my site. What do you think? It's on my blog at the moment. I'm semi-wondering whether or not to pay to actually release it.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Yes, I've used press releases before with varying success. You actually have to have something "newsworthy" for them to actually have any effect.

Newsworthy can be a lot of things to different journalists though. But if it sounds like an ad, it won't go far.

·
Registered
34 Posts
PRWEB works. We've been contacted by network TV producers and magazines through it. It's worth the money to pay for distribution.

But as said before, make your release newsy and fun, because t-shirts fall into the novelty category as far as the rest of the world is concerned.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
You can always send press releases to blogs for free.
Not all blogs accept press releases, so for those of you that go that route, be sure you're not spamming the blog owner with your press release :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
That is not really a press release then that is just posting to a blog. The beauty of a press release is that it does get looked at by all the newsoutlets and if they happen to be on a slow news cycle even the most worthless piece of obvious commercial PR can be picked up and used. and if your stuff is good then your chances are good that you will be noticed on a good day.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I went to prweb and made a press release. I even paid $40 to upgrade it a little. A short while ago, I received an email telling me that my PR had received 4/5 for editorial content and that I would receive certain upgrades because of this (some Googling later shows that getting 4/5 is not uncommon).

It is a slightly modified version of the one posted above and it goes out on Tuesday. I will post it here once it goes out.
From googling around some people seem to get fantastic responses and some people seem to get nothing. I will let you know how my $40 PR delivers.

Out of interest, why has this thread been move to 'site reviews'? I don't have anything to be reviewed - I just want to discuss the pros and cons of PRs...

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Major_Grooves said:
Out of interest, why has this thread been move to 'site reviews'? I don't have anything to be reviewed - I just want to discuss the pros and cons of PRs...
It's a feng shui thing....Rodney was making sure his water corner was facing his fire arch.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Despotte said:
probably because you started out asking for a review of your first PR letter. :)
Oh, right fair enough. I wasn't really wanting a 'real' reviews because at that time it was really meant as a kind of joke!;)

I would have thought that this thread would make a good addition to the marketing section, but it's kind of hard to discuss PRs and give and example of what has (or hasn't - I'll let you know) worked, without posting what is technically a 'self promotional URL'. Perhaps it can be moved back to marketing with the link to my original PR removed?:eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts