T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering, generally speaking - If I press longer, will the vinyl stick better unless I press till it burns? Or could I by pressing too long loose the "stickiness" of the vinyl to the garment? I understand that some vinyls demand longer or shorter time of pressure and amount of heat applied, but can you go beyond the limit and make it eventually fall of just because you pressed too long? If you press to little it wont stick obviously but what Im trying to say or ask is if theres some universal formula/rule to go by? A trick by the the experienced ones, some sort of guideline to go by?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
If your temperature is as recommended by the vinyl manufacturer, pressing too long won't make any difference. I have answered the phone and left the pressure on for 2 or 3 min. and it didn't affect the vinyl. If your heat is too high, you might melt the vinyl, but once it adheres to the garment it won't come off. God Bless.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ole JoBe, this is good advice. Short and to the point. I appreciate it enormously. Many thanks. Im new to the printing, I´m an illustrator with ideas of making made stuff up. Cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ole JoBe, this is good advice. Short and to the point. I appreciate it enormously. Many thanks. Im new to the printing, I´m an illustrator with ideas of making made stuff up. Cheers

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I agree that you want to follow the directions for the particular vinyl that you are heat applying. It is important to note that some films can withstand over application better then others. That said, I would stick within the dwell time recommended by the manufacturer. You can overapply films by applying them for too long just the same as if you were applying at too high a temperature.

When you overapply you are basically melting the color layer into and sometimes under the adhesive layer. This may not always result in product failure, but it certainly can.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Thanks, Nick. It is good to get replies from someone who is an expert in the field. Sometimes I answer a post just to start a discussion. We all learn when some who knows gives an answer. God Bless.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info Nick and OleJobe. Tried to press a little longer today and it came out a little better. Im using some unknown vinyl that I dont have the manufacturers guiding on. Going to get some new soon. Looking around and trying to learn what works best for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts