T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to vend at a couple very large festivals this fall, but I'm planning something different than the usual holiday items seen at these events. I would like to offer spirit wear with several local school mascots - including garments with tackle twill, rhinestones, and mixed-media decorations.

We have a real need in this area to bring school apparel into the modern era, and our company has a reputation for creating spirit wear with the trendy types of designs seen at the local malls.

My angle is of course to sell at these events, but also to showcase what our company can do in an effort to promote our business to the local schools we do not currently work with.

Anyone ever been a vendor at a festival with school spirit wear? (My other theory is that if the apparel doesn't sell well for some reason, I can offer it to the faculty, staff, and parents of the districts at a discounted price and hopefully regain some of my investment). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone have any words of advice? It's been years since I've been a vendor at an outdoor venue, and it wasn't with textiles. I'd really like to shorten my learning curve if possible.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
You have a designated market you produce for so why dont you target that market with events. You should be doing cheer competitions, dance competitions and the like. You mentioned festivals but what kind of festivals?

·
Registered
214 Posts
What percentage of folks attending the large festival will have an association with the school(s) you are displaying merchandise for? I reccomend bringing inventory and selling product with a more broader appeal and then displaying some school pieces as a marketing program hoping to get an in to sell through a PTA/PTO or Booster club down the road.

If the target market is school spirit wear consider sponsoring and getting a booth at school events such as open houses, field days, conference tournaments etc.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great suggestions. The events here are very large (50K to 75K attending - and most of the attendees are heavily involved with the schools (I used to be a teacher myself, and I know how they group up in very large numbers to attend these shows together - a super fun day!!). Lots of teachers, club sponsors, coaches wives, booster club members, as well as church groups, civic groups, etc.

We work with several schools already and have gotten referral business as well, but it's a slower approach and many of the schools (coaches especially) are convinced they have to get their screen printing and embroidery at the sporting goods stores - which are more expensive and more of a hassle to work with - not to mention that we can beat their lead times by at least a week or more.

Our thoughts were to approach the schools in an unexpected way - more of a grass roots effort through the these shows/festivals - as the usual channels sometimes gets us the "we're already buying from the sporting goods stores" reaction. I guess it comes down to finding a creative way to get in front of these people. What do you think?

(We know we will have to have fantastic designs to promote that are well beyond the "stock" look they're getting from the sporting goods stores. Based on our past success, I'm confident we can provide that and the teachers and club sponsors will be excited to discover something more appealing).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts