T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just gotten the hang of pretreating and have been pretreating a few darks, when I print the colored ink lays on top of the white ink perfectly and the white does not show through. Then I press for 3 minutes at 330 degrees, as recommended by the manufacturer/supplier, and then when I pull the shirt out, there seems to be very small white spots poking through the color ink. I tried to lessen the press time to 2 minutes and it helped a little but still some white spots, and plus im not sure if the less heat time affects the curing. I wonder what causes this and if anyone can help. I have tried pressing the shirt before I pretreat to lay the fibers down but that makes no difference in the final product. I mean it print perfect, its after pressing I see the white specks. Thank you.

· Read Only
263 Posts
Here's what I do, press the shirt, when applying the pretreatment, do it in one direction (top down) and press the shirt until all the steam is gone. After printing, hover the heat press over the design for 10-15 seconds before applying full pressure. I have my heat press set at 360 for 144 seconds. Have had great luck and the shirts hold up well. Make sure the humidity in the print area is at least 45 degrees.

· Registered
32 Posts
This may be an issue where the heat press is directly pulling wet ink off the printed area. Are you using curing sheets (silcone parchment paper)?

The suggestion to first hover the heat press prior to direct pressure is also helpful.

\
I have just gotten the hang of pretreating and have been pretreating a few darks, when I print the colored ink lays on top of the white ink perfectly and the white does not show through. Then I press for 3 minutes at 330 degrees, as recommended by the manufacturer/supplier, and then when I pull the shirt out, there seems to be very small white spots poking through the color ink. I tried to lessen the press time to 2 minutes and it helped a little but still some white spots, and plus im not sure if the less heat time affects the curing. I wonder what causes this and if anyone can help. I have tried pressing the shirt before I pretreat to lay the fibers down but that makes no difference in the final product. I mean it print perfect, its after pressing I see the white specks. Thank you.

· Registered
29 Posts
can you explain 'hover' in greater detail? I know it means to position the upper platen of the press over the garment that is loaded on the lower platen but how far off the garment should that platen be? i'm the controlller of the heat press and I'm not sure how close I should be getting to the "wet" print. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.