T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping someone could explain the pre treat process to me?

is it just for black? or black, blues,dark green etc..

is there a drying time for the applied pre treat? im pretty confused on this subject...i see the kornit has a pre treat on the printer itself , it looks as if this is still wet when printing? i have heard let it dry then i see the kornit printing on a what looks to be a wet shirt? insight please..:confused:

· Registered
2,857 Posts
If u need white ink u need the pretreat. Without white ink will not stick to shirt or very poor coverage and wash right out. Pretreat on light or white shirts that do not use white ink is optional but i find it to be benefical. Note that light pretreat is different than dark pretreat. If u use dark pt on light shirt it may show a yellow area where ptd after applying heat besides it over kill. My opinion is light pretreat is pretty much watered down dark pt or close at about a 1/4-1/5 dilution ration. Anyway the colors are brighter and wash better with light pt. Its basicly a polyvinyl that seals the pores for light and also provides the required bonding agent for the white. Kornit is different in every way. Ink pretreat everything. Wont work with epson technology. Remembet heat near the print head. Low humidity. And wet pretreat near the head is trouble. If u get pretreat on the head it is instantly sealed shut. Basicly. This can happen with a head strike. I have heard of some printing on a shirt that is still damp with pretreat. Never tried it.

Reactions: 102557

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks guys for the info, pm's etc..

i will get with you this weekend, additionally i have came up with a simple solution actually 2 solutions..i will run it buy you guys on the phone this weekend.. then determine which would be best after i get all the pretreat insight from you seasoned pros.. im going to use a aquarium pump or a on demand piston pump (cheap) in an enclosed drawer box with the proper gpm nozzle or nozzles.. then use a timer and contact switch with limits (also cheap) to run the drawer-sprayer..this will be a mini version of a garage door opener with a PAUSE for the spraying of pretreat..just gota find out how much to apply etc..:)

thanks again..

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I also got to check out the pre treat machine we are working on this afternoon (i am having my brother head this portion of the project up) we work together on alot of projects- i supplied the base and component design for the app

.. so we had some very good results from the system with testing.. we are using industrial spray nozzles and testing the different patterns and distances. we used an on demand pump for the application aswell with and without a timer with great results from both ways..

we also built a manifold system for the pump (multiple spray bays from one pump) in the event you need to do multiple shirts at once cuts time but requires extra space for additional bays... im guessing he should have this down to a science within a month give or take.. with this pump you can even operate it (the spray start) from a key ring remote control while doing other tasks..:D

this has been our back room project shortly after i got the printer going.. we will most likely produce these aswell in fact it will probably be our main concentration for a separate venture with my brother running the operation aspects of it...

its completely enclosed to keep treatment confined with a clear top viewing area during treatment application...;) its a cool little rig for sure..this is actually fits right into what i normally do for work so i have a ton of experience with liquid delivery systems from plastic containment-pumping systems.. i have built several hydroponic systems for large indoor -outdoor vegtable-fruit farmers... this involves a timed water feed delivery system with variations of nozzles pumps etc;)

i have recieved alot of insight on the application process and its still flowing in..thank you guys for that info.. so the biggest thing i hear from experienced users is most are doing this with a hand held sprayer..and there is a certain waste factor treating spots of the shirt not needed.. i also hear that getting the spray uniform and even everytime is a task... so those are the major things we are concentrating on by setting up multiple nozzles for different areas of the shirt to reduce waste spray and getting a uniform application every time.. this system will also be 100% plastic..liquid+enviornmental conditions usually dont mix well over time with metal treatment enclosures.:p
I would LOVE to make this for a commercial printer manufacturer if anyone has an interest or wants a prototype designed let me know and of course with complete confidential non dis closure agreement.... or possibly a distributor interest..

to be continued....

· Registered
23 Posts
hello german13 jeff how are you mate first of all what a bloody great job you have done awesome i read somewere in a post from you that you would mfg the base design and platen is this true would you sell one to me very keen to make one have the electic side done with the help of my mate...
sorry for posting here just thought you might see it quicker

have you sorted out the pre treatment for shirts and substrates yet
regards dazz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.