T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a lot of threads about different ways to pre register jobs. Different types of systems people use both homemade and store bought. If there is anyone that has a homemade system that they don't mind sharing the plans to I would greatly appreciate it. I have a 4 color 1 station press and I am kinda nervous about doing mulit colors without really having a good pre registering system. I love the Vastex setup but I am not in any place to be paying 700+ for a setup. I am pretty handy with my hands and I have a step father who is a cabinet maker so he is pretty skilled with saws and such. So if I could find some good plans to go buy to make one I would like to see what he could do for me. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I know if you youtube it there is a video explaining how to make a "goof-Proof" setup. he doesnt actually show the final product but spends ten mins explainging

·
Registered
680 Posts
I had a question on my youtube page about some plans on my regi system and I think it was you. Unfortunately, I didn't put anything down on paper and I made it "on press" to fit a 16" pallet. I took the center of a 23X31 screen, which isn't exactly 11.5" but slightly less than that and made my stop points out to where the center of my screens would be at the center of my pallets. The third stop point was chosen so that my screens would be the right height from the top of the pallet and my design would be in the proper spot. So depending on what size screens you use and the size of your pallets, it could be many different numbers.

Measure the exact width of your screens and pallet and I can steer you in the right direction. If your pallets are 15" then all we have to do is move everthing down to scale from my 16's. If your screens are smaller, same concept. I think it will be easy once you get started.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that was me!! I will measure everything up tomorrow and let you know what I got. I would be very thank full for the help.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I seen the video I wish he would have had the camera about 6 inches lower so you could see what he was actually talking about and doing?

·
Registered
261 Posts
same here but it isnt to hard to figure out. Some one is selling just the grid sheet layout on ebay for pretty cheap or just use the picture as a reference

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I have the Vastex system, bought used. I actually only use the grid portion with the mylar sheets and pin registration. Actually, I don't even have pins on my exposure unit, but a piece of tape with marks where I tape the mylar sheet for "close enough" registration. Once on the press, I line everything up to the first screen image printed on a pellon.

You can make your own grid sheet, or draw one out on a board with a marker for squaring up your art. You can also buy the brass pins from offset printing supply houses. You can get the round ones that will correspond to a standard three-hole punch hole, and use the punch to punch some mylar sheets from an art supply store.

I'm not trying to downplay any benefits from using commercial pre-registration systems, from Vastex or anyone else, but my own experience, and from comments I've read regarding other, significantly more expensive systems, is that often there is still some "fine-tuning" of the registration once on press. I'm not sure any of them are a 100% accurate, slap the screens in the clamps and run proposition. On the other hand, you do need some kind of a guide to have all the images reasonably close to one another in relation to their position on each subsequent screen. Like I said, I use the prepunched mylar sheets and the grid table from Vastex every day. I don't use the frame jig that fits over the platen. It might save me a little time if I did, but I've gotten in the habit of doing things the way I do. Sometimes I can get a screen in registration dead-on right off the bat. Sometimes it takes me 15 minutes of screwing around if it's a particularly complex shape overprinting a white underbase with very little choke.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. I was trying to find the layout sheet on ebay as well but I am not having any luck. Does anyone have a working link? It's possible the bid is over and it's just not available anymore I guess.

I have a 4 color 1 station w/no micros as well and registering a multi color job is a pain in the you know what.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts