T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Do retailers usually do pre-orders for consignment?

I am planning to approach some retailers before I produce my next release but I'm unsure how many they will order and don't want to be caught producing too much.

Is it a good idea to approach retailers, show them the line sheet, get them to pre order and then produce and deliver say a month later and have them sell on consignment?
Or would retailers only pre order goods when I am selling to them wholesale i.e. not consignment.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
If your main concern is getting caught producing too much, then pre-orders for consignment isn't going to help much at all. When giving product to a retailer on consignment, they are not going to make any commitment to pay for anything. So whatever doesn't sell, just goes back to you anyway. So you are taking the same exact risk of getting stuck with inventory whether they pre-order or not.

Just take pre-orders for wholesale purchases. And maybe produce some extras to offer on consignment.

Most retailers like to see physical samples when they place orders. So having a linesheet is good, but many buyers will want to see a sample too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts