T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -
I have just launched a new site featuring strength training theme t-shirts.

Keep the theme in mind, and let me know what you think.

The site is currently running on pre order status because my partner and I are waiting for our recently ordered screen printing equipment.

Any and all feedback is very much appreciated,
Tucker

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I get the idea, that youre ghoing for the black and white gym theme, but to me, it needs some color. Do weightlifters only wear black shirts? I dont think so. Way too monotone. The site is hard to look at honestly. Just way too much black. Throw in some pictures of people lifting weights while wearing your shirts. Just something with some color. and I dont see any pictures of the actual shirts, or even a photoshopped shirt. You should definitely add that. I wouldnt buy a shirt without seeing what it will look like.

I do think there is a market for these shirts, but you are going to have to advertise on niche websites.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
The black and white thing kind of works, but it is a bit extreme.

Glad to see you go to a 3XL ;)

I can see this working for your niche. I guess the biggest challenge will be finding enough new buyers to keep you afloat.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I just noticed your prices. Is that a pre-order sale? If so, mention it (sell it up). If not I'd consider raising them by a couple of dollars. I know they're simple one colour prints, but you're doing free shipping. You also don't seem to be charging more for a 3XL - something that would potentially be appreciated by your customers, but with a shirt priced at $14 including shipping that might cut into your margin more than you want it to.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
It's a great niche to target, and I think fitness-oriented clothing is going to be more popular in the future. Here in Vancouver I see more people wearing yoga pants than jeans sometimes.

One of our local fitness wear companies has a great marketing strategy. They sponsor local athletes. Might be something to think about. Here's their website: http://vatabrasil.com/athletes.htm

·
Registered
353 Posts
I love this idea for shirts. Wish I'd thought of it.

You could market it to the oldschool gym guys/girls. You know the Rocky Balboa's at the community centres doing "only" free-weights.

"Circuits are for _____."

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jdr8271 said:
I get the idea, that youre ghoing for the black and white gym theme, but to me, it needs some color. Do weightlifters only wear black shirts? I dont think so. Way too monotone. The site is hard to look at honestly. Just way too much black. Throw in some pictures of people lifting weights while wearing your shirts. Just something with some color. and I dont see any pictures of the actual shirts, or even a photoshopped shirt. You should definitely add that. I wouldnt buy a shirt without seeing what it will look like.

I do think there is a market for these shirts, but you are going to have to advertise on niche websites.

First of all, I do appreciate taking the time to post feedback.

Do weight lifters only wear black t-shirts?

Actually, my target probably does, but I will still be offering navy blue and white as options in the near future.

The sit is hard to look at honestly.

This actually was a concern of mine. I was nervous that the black and white color scheme would mess with people's eyes. It may, but I ultimately decided that the overall look of the website was more important. I wanted a very simple, basic feel that would be appreciated by my target. I will not, however, be placing any additional pictures scattered around the site for extra color. I do not believe that it would serve my purpose.

I don't see any pictures of the actual shirts, or even a photoshopped shirt.

Well, we are waiting on the equipment because we want to print the shirts ourselves, so I can't take any pictures of the actual shirts. I do not feel that a photoshopped version would really do us any justice. Ultimately, though, some type of picture will be added.

I do honestly appreciate the feedback.

Tucker

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Solmu said:
I just noticed your prices. Is that a pre-order sale? If so, mention it (sell it up). If not I'd consider raising them by a couple of dollars. I know they're simple one colour prints, but you're doing free shipping. You also don't seem to be charging more for a 3XL - something that would potentially be appreciated by your customers, but with a shirt priced at $14 including shipping that might cut into your margin more than you want it to.

This (price) is where I am kicking myself in the pills a little bit. The pre order sale is a little bit too good, I believe. We are definitely not going to make a killing off of these initial sales, but I am OK with that. I have high hopes of being able to be the source for these people (weightlifters), so a good reputation for being fair/generous is one that I can accept...for now:) .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kentphoto said:
I love this idea for shirts. Wish I'd thought of it.

You could market it to the oldschool gym guys/girls. You know the Rocky Balboa's at the community centres doing "only" free-weights.

"Circuits are for _____."

I decided to try this market because I am a personal trainer, which leaves me with quite a few "ins". We will see if it comes together.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
I was nervous that the black and white color scheme would mess with people's eyes. It may, but I ultimately decided that the overall look of the website was more important.
I'd be careful about picking the "overall look" of your website over "messing with people's eyes".

Having the site be easy to look at, browse, and useable is way more important then the "overall look". If people can't stand to stay on the page, it will have a direct impact on your sales potential.

Just something to think about :)

I think other than that, the site is very well done and does a great job of narrowing down and targeting a specific niche. The fact that you are involved in that "niche" makes it even easier for you to enjoy selling the shirts and stay passionate about it.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Rodney said:
I'd be careful about picking the "overall look" of your website over "messing with people's eyes".

Having the site be easy to look at, browse, and useable is way more important then the "overall look". If people can't stand to stay on the page, it will have a direct impact on your sales potential.
Agreed, that was my first reaction when I saw the website as well; it is just too much of two few colors. And a site that is hard to look at is going to be pretty universal; it will still affect your niche customers. You might try to add a few other subtle colorations at least; some gray tones or such? Try to add SOME variety anyway, doesn't need to be a ton.

tucker said:
This (price) is where I am kicking myself in the pills a little bit. The pre order sale is a little bit too good, I believe. We are definitely not going to make a killing off of these initial sales, but I am OK with that. I have high hopes of being able to be the source for these people (weightlifters), so a good reputation for being fair/generous is one that I can accept...for now:) .
Be careful with that, though. It's a lot easier to lower prices than it is to raise them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rodney said:

Just something to think about :)

I believe that I may have slightly mis-stated myself.

I would not intentionally post a site that makes people's eyes bug out of their head. I did not realize that it was that bad...I had limited initial feedback, which is why I say that I was concerned. I understand that the visual appeal of a site is a very important piece of the purchasing decision. Without knowing/realizing that the site would be somewhat troubling to the eye, I made a judgement call to go with a layout that I felt would be appreciated by my niche.

I do plan on making use of the forum's advice, and playing around with different color schemes and layouts over the weekend.

Thanks for the honest feedback,
Tucker

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Hey Tucker,

Once you get your tees delivered, if you just add in some nice pictures of people wearing your tees (especially on the front page), and just a little bit of accent color (red, orange, etc) in your layout, that would make a big difference. To cut down on contrast you could also use a dark charcoal gray in place of black in your layout. It would actually make the black & white tees stand out more if the whole layout wasn't black & white.

I think you are on the right track so far. Let us know when you make some changes. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts