T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to tell if an Epson 2200 print head is in working condition or if its ruined without hooking it up to a printer?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
You can see if you flush solution into the nozzles but that will only let you know there is no clogs but not for sure it will work it can still be delaminated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah I'm kind of at the point now where I know something is wrong but not what. I bought a used K2 and it was in pretty bad condition. Bought it from a guy who bought it from a repo man. Pretty obvious the previous users didn't give a care about it.

Anyway, I've ordered all new tubes, a new capping station assembly (which includes a new pump and wipers), new ribbon cable, new ecn ribbon. Don't have all the parts yet but they are on the way. Meanwhile I'm learning how to take this thing apart and trying to figure how it all works inside. Right now the carraige is off the rails, and the print head is removed from the carraige. Looks like its gonna be a pain to get it all back together again and right. Just wish there was some way to know which parts were actually broken. I mean if I put it all back together again with the new parts and it still doesn't work, I still dont know how I could be sure the print head was the problem. Maybe I need a new carriage assembly, maybe the motherboard is cracked? IDK. Just wish there was some way to know for sure I need a new head before I drop the $400 on it. It would totally suck to order a new one and have the thing still not work. On top of that, most places you can get a head though, on used marketplaces, or even brand new OEM units, returns are not accepted.

forgive my ignorance, but if the head was delaminated, it wouldn't be shiny and reflective, right?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
forgive my ignorance, but if the head was delaminated, it wouldn't be shiny and reflective, right?
It just means that parts of printhead are beyond repair. Also, you are on the right track for parts but the main thing that will determine alot will be the motherboard. Not something you can learn overnight and strongly suggest you take that to a professional.

It doesn't necessarily crack, unless you crack it by force since its not something that is a exterior part. There are several small motherboards around the printer that can be visible when you remove the side panels.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
It just means that parts of printhead are beyond repair. Also, you are on the right track for parts but the main thing that will determine alot will be the motherboard. Not something you can learn overnight and strongly suggest you take that to a professional.

Dazzabling is quite right. From your description you have the printer totally taken apart. You started with a printer that you did not see working so you don't know what could have been wrong with it originally. Unfortunately, at this point, if you do not reassemble the printer correctly, and it still doesn't work, you can't be sure if it's something wrong with the reassembly or something wrong with a part such as the mainboard. A reassembly project like this really should be handled by a qualified service tech.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Another thing.. I have repaired several K2 and I will say 90-95% of the ones I have repaired have had damaged carriages because they are really easy to break. Especially, where the screws are held into place and also the screws on the printer itself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Great! I'll take all the technicians you're willing to pay for! By the way you guys forgot to include a template for cutting the hood of the K2 in the new bottle system I ordered from you. Which I also was forced to pay $50 more for than what you quoted me over the phone, even though I placed my order with the same person about 10 minutes later. And IMO you shouldn't show your bottle and bag systems with ink already in them if they don't come with any ink. That's false advertising and you could be sued for it.

Anyway it's not really that complicated at all. The only thing I'm worried about is making sure "The at spot on the end of the rail" is in the same position as it was when I took it apart. I didn't take a picture as coldesi recommends. Kiosk Head Carraige Removal | DTG Kiosk Garment Printer Support

How does that work anyway? Are there different positions for the at spot on the rails for every machine? Wouldn't it be the same for all the machines?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Great! I'll take all the technicians you're willing to pay for!
I am in no way affiliated with Equipment Zone. They install their own bag kits. I personally choose the first bag kit that has proven in itself to be one of the best. IMHO. It doesn't require any "cutting" of sorts..

How does that work anyway? Are there different positions for the at spot on the rails for every machine? Wouldn't it be the same for all the machines?
It is the same for every machine.. I will give you some free tech advice.

1) Take pictures so you can refer back to them

2) Label your screws > I use the post it notes with the writable ends

3) Its not as easy as it looks..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"I am in no way affiliated with Equipment Zone."

Sorry, that comment was meant for "equipmentzone."

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
It's ok.. I just didn't want you to feel pressured into finding a tech because usually people decide to take matters into their own hands is because they have spent too much money already and try to DIY.

I have been there done that but it took years and dedication to learn, repair and teach others about DTG.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So true. Hope that many others will finally understand that DTG is not as simple as pushing a print button.
OTOH, I can't imagine it's as difficult as coding a web site with AJAX, PHP, and SQL, which I have done, my only teacher being myself.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hmmm. Let me see if I clearly understand this thread. You've randomly disassembled your machine before doing thorough diagnosis? I once knew a fellow who did this quite regularly, late, late at night. I bought a harley and two mustangs from him, all taken down to the nut and bolt level. I think he had some substance abuse issues, so I guess he was probably not like you at all. But I digress...

In one post you talk about suing someone for not supplying ink in an empty ink supply system? In another you tell us how smart you are with web sites, and how easy DTG machines are in comparison? Winning a lot of friends around here already, after ***** slapping Harry and Equipment Zone. And I thought I was the king of attitude around here! May have to polish the crown and hand it over soon at this rate.

But I will pass you my usual gem: buy or get for free: an epson 2200 on ebay or local craigslist. You will be able to see just how everything goes together precisely before you begin "tweaking" (that may be a bad choice of words, sorry) on it and take it apart to use the innards for what ails your unit. The motherboard will be of no use to you however.

Hope this helps you, and that you don't begin legal proceedings against me along with Harry.

-dANNY8bALL

PS can you fix my SEO so I show up ahead of that one competitor who beats me on every keyword search that matters? I sure get tired of him!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When a company uses a picture to show you what will you get you are supposed to get exactly what the picture shows. For example if McDonalds advertised a new hamburger for $2 and the picture included french fries, by law you are supposed to get the french fries when you buy the burger as well. If you don't, this was deceptive advertising. EZ clearly shows the bulk system filled up with inks. This isn't something I made up, it's law. But hey, you don't have to believe me, just go ask any advertising lawyer about it.

Thanks for your advice about buying a used 2200. I have been trying but I keep getting sniped at the least second on Ebay.

Sorry but I never learned anything about SEO.

·
Registered
481 Posts
When I leased a Lexus RX, there was a beautiful woman pictured sitting in it in the print ad and the tv commercial which showed the lease price. I would have been VERY disappointed when they brought it out, if I had expected said woman to be waiting patiently for me in the passenger seat.

Fortunantly, I already HAD a beautiful woman to sit there...

You must live in a relatively uninhabited area? The local craigslist has a dozen of them right now. I bet if you contacted a few of them via email and asked really nice, they would be willing to ship it to you for a few more bucks.

Here is a link to the current listings: SF bay area all for sale / wanted classifieds "epson 2200" - craigslist

These go begging for new owners here, should be easy to convince them to ship. I have 5 of them right now, in various states of assemblage. Make for great backups!

hope this helps you,

dANNY8bALL

www.SanjoseScreenPrinting.com

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You might be able to make a case for that, if buying and selling people was legal in America anyway.

Thanks for the Craigslist links. :)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
EZ clearly shows the bulk system filled up with inks.
SO, I just looked at EZ's website... They probably should update their description to say that the bulk ink conversion system specifically does not include any ink. That being said, to assume they would include 7 bags of ink at $67/75/bag (which comes to $493) *and* throwing in a complete set of ink lines (not sure on price) *and* a set of cartridges (which they sell for $49.95) for $399 is a stretch of the imagination I simply cannot comprehend...

At this point, all I can suggest is a phone call or email would have been a better option than assuming you were getting a killer deal and then faulting them for your incorrect assumptions...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts