T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe you can help me out.
I'm using union ink MIXO-8000 black. (This is the problem ink)

I'm using a manual press through 110 mesh screen, white shirts and the ink above straight out of the gallon. It was I small job. (About 20 shirts) so I used the flash to cure. 1.5 to 2 inches above the shirt on high temp. for 35 seconds. I have a laser temp gun to check the temp. 315F to 330F was the reading on the shirt. I did the stretch test. Looked fine.....
Stupid me, I didn't do a test wash. ( like i usually do) Gave the shirts to the customer. After the first wash there is fading and even ink bleeding. black specs and smudges on and around the print itself.

Possible problems?

Thanks

· Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
315 - 330 might not be enough. Usually for a full cure, the ink must reach that temperature ENTIRELY, meaning all the way through. Laser temp guns only read surface temp. I'd make sure to get it up to 360-375ish.
I checked union's web site. They say 300F is good but 325F is better. So my 315F falls right in there.
After getting the complaint from the customer (Who, by the way wants a refund) I reprinted two shirts. Did everything thing the same. Washed them full cycle. No problems here...... What's happening?

· Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
first if you have a large conveyor dryer i would use that all the time. second for the ink to dry it has to reach its curing temp almost instantly and stay there for 15-20 seconds so your shirts might just be reaching their curing temp all the way through when you are taking them out from under the flash cure unit.
Normally, I use my conveyor. (Not a big one) But, like I said it was a small run and because I needed to flash anyways, I just left on for the curing too.
So the ink most reach 320+ and stay there for at less 20 secs. Ok. I'll to leave it under there longer next time. (if I use the flash to cure)

Thanks guys!!

· Registered
1,093 Posts
Ok, I'm going to state this once more. The ink has to reach that temperature ALL THE WAY THROUGH. A laser temp gun is only going to read surface temp. Get the surface temp up to 340-350 at least and then try some wash tests.

The print only has to reach cure temp, it does not have to stay there for any specific length of time. But it's important that the entire print reach that ideal 325 mark.

Believe me, 340-350 and you'll be good. I've used a lot of union ink with a flash dryer when I first started.

· Administrator
18,542 Posts
for the ink to dry it has to reach its curing temp almost instantly and stay there for 15-20 seconds so your shirts might just be reaching their curing temp all the way through when you are taking them out from under the flash cure unit.
This isn't exactly correct for plastisol. Once the entire ink field reaches the cure temperature, the print is cured. It does not have to Stay under heat one second longer. Maybe you are thinking about waterbased inks?

Keeping shirts under heat longer than necessary risks scorching.

Perhaps that one shirt that ran in the wash was one that was cured at 315 degrees instead of 330? Hopefully, it was the only one. :)

· Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This isn't exactly correct for plastisol. Once the entire ink field reaches the cure temperature, the print is cured. It does not have to Stay under heat one second longer. Maybe you are thinking about waterbased inks?

Keeping shirts under heat longer than necessary risks scorching.

Perhaps that one shirt that ran in the wash was one that was cured at 315 degrees instead of 330? Hopefully, it was the only one. :)
Thats what I've read before. But I also understand to better be safe than sorry. A few extra seconds shouldn't hurt. (unless the shirt burns...)

The customer said that it's happening to some other shirts too. After I received the first call, I went back and printed a shirt to see if there is a problem. I washed it. I had no problems. shirt look fine.
Anyways, he wants a full refund on all shirts. He said he can't sale the shirts if he thinks they'll fade.
Funny thing is, he mentioned to me that his art wasn't really grabbing customers. That he would be changing his logo. Is he trying to cover his loses by returning his unsold shirts? He said he sold 20% of his stock. Should I return ALL the money for shirts sold and unsold?
I haven't seen the shirts in person. This Friday I'll visit his shop.

Thanks everyone.

· Administrator
18,542 Posts
Thats what I've read before. But I also understand to better be safe than sorry. A few extra seconds shouldn't hurt. (unless the shirt burns...)

The customer said that it's happening to some other shirts too. After I received the first call, I went back and printed a shirt to see if there is a problem. I washed it. I had no problems. shirt look fine.
Anyways, he wants a full refund on all shirts. He said he can't sale the shirts if he thinks they'll fade.
Funny thing is, he mentioned to me that his art wasn't really grabbing customers. That he would be changing his logo. Is he trying to cover his loses by returning his unsold shirts? He said he sold 20% of his stock. Should I return ALL the money for shirts sold and unsold?
I haven't seen the shirts in person. This Friday I'll visit his shop.

Thanks everyone.
Seeing what he is talking about is certainly the first thing you should do.

Not sure what your cost to produce the shirts vs. what you sold them for, but before I would offer a refund, I would offer to reprint his order, as was originally done. No new logo, or design.

And if you do refund, it should be for returned (his and/or customers) shirts only. Not on the full order.

Finally, if he does end up returning his unsold supply to you, I would wash them and if they turned out OK, take them back to him and show him they were OK.

· Registered
332 Posts
Starting at a: His sales are not your problem; cuz you can't buy them back.You printed it thats it. Till you see the bad shirts. Then goto b.
B: To refund or not to refund thats a bigger question. I would redo the job,and maybe wash them as well. Tell him that to see if what he is expecting of you.

· Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The other possibility is this could just be fibrilation. If so, that's normal and there isn't much you can do about it but inform your customers ahead of time.

Any way you can post an image of one of the faded shirts?
I think that what I'm dealing with here. "Fibrillation".
I know there are ways to prevent this from happening.
Read this link: U.S. Screen Print & Inkjet Technology | The Facts About Fibrillation

I just can't image he is so picky about this.
I have a few shirts of his that needed reprinting due to location problems. I washed two and left one unwashed. I can see some fibrillation when I compare the washed and unwashed shirts. but, in my opinion they're not bad. I'll get pics for you guys ASAP.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.