T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 510 Posts

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my version of the poor man's stretcher I posted earlier.

I forgot to take pictures covering the process but you can google for wai hang which is the company from which I copied the design. The picture shows a small screen where the last of 4 sides are being stretched at half tension.

Top view

1" finishing nails 1cm apart. I was planning on 2 rows of nails but my drill bit broke at around 24" on the first row on what was supposed to be 30" length of nails. The 1x2 wood is the screwed to a slotted angular bar. The angular bar was supposed to be screwed to the wood plank which I think is 7" wide. However, I just clamped it to the plank just to get going.

This is the nail side of the stretcher

This is the inside

Another look at the stretcher.

For higher tension screens, just insert wood or any material between the frame and the slotted angular.

In summary, I stretched according to the instructions of wai hang. Essentially, glue two adjoining sides first, then stretch the long side and finally the last side.

This is their specs.

I use contact cement applying it to all sides of the frame and let it dry for about 20 minutes. Then, I place the screen on the frame and apply contact cement above the screen on the 2 adjoining sides. After about 30 minutes, I stretch the long side pushing it down against the plank (90 degrees) placing a hammer on top of the frame(A clamp may be more advisable on larger frames and where you insert wood between frame and stretcher for higher tension). After another 30 minutes I remove the frame and stretch the last side put pushing the screen only about 45 degrees. I left it at that position overnight and took the picture just this morning.

Next time, I may try screen adhesive which seems to have a shorter drying time. I also plan to make another stretcher so I can stretch the 2 opposite sides simultaneously.

So, what do I think of the stretcher? I am not sure how much it costs but you can do some simple arithmetic. I think this is the cheapest and simplest stretcher one can build. It is also the easiest to use. Unlike other DIY stretcher which probably takes more time to assemble than to stretch and adjusting all those clamps and screws this one is really very simple. It may not be as efficient as commercial stretchers but you should be able to achieve the same results as most DIY stretchers I've seen so far - at a cost practically next to nothing. Well, frankly, I believe it is even more effective because you can pull the screen fabric downwards and sideways to sort of pre-strech the screen a little. Something one cannot do with clamp style strechers.

My only complaint is that the nails are nat pointed enough but that may be too much pampering.

Sorry if there are personal comments but these are factual statements.

Note: Be careful where you keep your stretcher or stretch your screens as those nails, especially if the becomes rusty, can cause injury.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Lahat tayo nag uumpisa with something and we become inovative when lack of funds or technology is available. Thanks for sharing this and more of our kabayan might be able to take the idea and probably do an upgrade.
Screen tension is very important in screen printing pag loose yung screen mahirap mag print at magregister and other factors.
This is my business in US, I specialize in screen making. Each fabric mesh count we measure the the proper tension, kung hindi tama ang tension galit ang costumer.
(See the screen pictures and stretcher).
Thanks for sharing

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
ganda naman nyan......tulo na naman laway ko....

Tanong lang po, ano ba ang tamang tension ng screen? equivalent sa kilo, la kasi akong tension meter (pangalan nga lang di ko pa sigurado)
Sa "T" type mesh
110-28-44 n
125 -28-44
160-23-36
200-22-35
250-22-35
300-18-28
Hindi ko alam yun equivalent ng newton sa kilo..sorry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oma-88zdl54

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
ayos. ang talino naka imbento n2

creativity is the key....
Actually yan din ang feeling ko although creative may be the more appropriate word. Kung makita mo design ko ay same sila lever type pero that is also where it stops. Tagal ko na pinoblema kung paano ko ififix ang lever para maiglue ko ang screen. Kaya 2 sets (8 pcs) of turnbuckle ko sa bahay ngayon. 1 set (of 4) is for yung more traditional DIY stretcher at yung mas maliit na set (4 pcs) ay para sa lever type na naka illustrate. Kaya ng makita ko ang stretcher ng wai hang ay parang sabi ko sa sarili ko why didn't I think of that. I am referring to the way the stretcher is rested on the table. Yung pako? well, I don't think it would have entered my mind.

Sa ngayon, after having used it, I really see it as superior to many DIY stretcher and that is not to say na wala siyang downside. Kung nagumpisa ka sa kaliwa sa paglagay ng mesh sa stretcher, kaya mo istretch ang fabric hindi lang pababa and also pakanan or something like prestrecthing the sides. Something na hindi mo magawa sa clamp type stretcher kagaya yung nauna kong stretcher if I can call it one.

Ang naisip kong modification is really minor. I can use 2 of these stretchers to stretch two opposite sides simultaneously. To stretch 4 sides simultaneously, my idea is to reduce the width of the wood plank near the ends to as close to the nails as possible and leave about a foot forming a "T", like this

ganda naman nyan......tulo na naman laway ko....

Tanong lang po, ano ba ang tamang tension ng screen? equivalent sa kilo, la kasi akong tension meter (pangalan nga lang di ko pa sigurado)

Iyan din ang gusto ko malaman kung ano ang equivalent ng newton in terms of kilogram pull pero wala pang reply sa post ko. Magkano kaya ang isang lower priced but decent tension meter?

Sir edisback2010, ano yung t-type mesh?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Lahat tayo nag uumpisa with something and we become inovative when lack of funds or technology is available. Thanks for sharing this and more of our kabayan might be able to take the idea and probably do an upgrade.
Screen tension is very important in screen printing pag loose yung screen mahirap mag print at magregister and other factors.
This is my business in US, I specialize in screen making. Each fabric mesh count we measure the the proper tension, kung hindi tama ang tension galit ang costumer.
(See the screen pictures and stretcher).
Thanks for sharing
ang ganda nyan sir ed! sir baka po may maligaw jan tension meter na secondhand

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
actually madali lang iconvert ang newtons in terms of kg..pero ang mahirap kasi e pano mo malalaman yung tension talaga ng screen na nandun sa loob ng frame..kung gagamit ka kasi ng pabigat malamang sa magkabilaang sides nung frames yun and pababa yung weights mo..yung frames mismo e magaact as simple machine efficiency of 1 meaning iniba nya lang yung direction nung force..tapos syempre may friction pa yung frames mo in contact sa screen..what you can get is the tension mula dun sa pabigat and sa frames..pero yung screen sa loob ng frame di mo alam ang tension..tantyahan pa din so sa tingin ko mas ok pang mafeel mo yung screen na tama yung tension then pag nagsstretch ka e ifeel mo kung tama na yung tension ng screen mo..ganun lang ginagawa ko..

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
may nabibilhan ba sir ng stretcher?
teestudio may simple manual stretcher dati pero contact mo sila kung meron pa. Wala akoing idea how much yung sa kanila. Most suppliers also have stretchers pero mas malaki at 6-7 figures na.

actually madali lang iconvert ang newtons in terms of kg..pero ang mahirap kasi e pano mo malalaman yung tension talaga ng screen na nandun sa loob ng frame..kung gagamit ka kasi ng pabigat malamang sa magkabilaang sides nung frames yun and pababa yung weights mo..yung frames mismo e magaact as simple machine efficiency of 1 meaning iniba nya lang yung direction nung force..tapos syempre may friction pa yung frames mo in contact sa screen..what you can get is the tension mula dun sa pabigat and sa frames..pero yung screen sa loob ng frame di mo alam ang tension..tantyahan pa din so sa tingin ko mas ok pang mafeel mo yung screen na tama yung tension then pag nagsstretch ka e ifeel mo kung tama na yung tension ng screen mo..ganun lang ginagawa ko..

So how can one convert newtons to kg?

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
haha..eto na nga:

ang common name kasi satin ng newton ay weight..weight = mass x gravity..ang gravity po natin ay 9.81 m/s^2..so kung ang mass mo ay 100kg, ang weight mo ay 100kg x 9.81m/s^2 = 981 kg x m/s^2 or 981 Newtons..so kung ang tension ay 27newtons, 27N / 9.81 m/s^2 =~ 2.75kg..again, pabasa na lang ulit nung naunang post ko..

1 - 20 of 510 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.