T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy
Okay I've subbed VA shirts and Denali wickz shirts already but was looking for newer styles and all and ran into these terms. Most come from A4.

100% Polyester flat back mesh
What is flat back mesh mean ?
I know mesh is tiny like holes. But flat back mesh. ?

How is Polyester pique different than non pique ?
What is pique anyways ?

Power Mesh ? Really mean something or a marketing campaign ?

Textured mesh ?

Polyester pro-weight textured mesh? Does that mean heavier shirt like the pros might wear ????

And can all types be dye subbed successfully or vinyl used on them or screen printing ?

And when shirts are said to be moisture management like 3M moisture management what is done to the shirt or polyester to give it this management ?

Same with shirts that say UV protection . How is it ADDED to the shirt ?

And does it ever wash out of the shirt. ? I know in the USMC they said our cammies were radar proof till we laundered them (which made no sense to me).

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
558 Posts
The typical tee shirt is jersey knit, ladies babydolls are a rib knit, and pique is just a different type of knit fabric. Basic examples are Fabric Quality and Colors I'm not familiar with the shirts you are talking about but I assume it would be similar to this Stretch Medium Weight Polyester Pique Knit Yellow - Discount Designer Fabric - Fabric.com

From Ultraviolet Protection Factor, UPF Ratings - Coolibar :

There are a number of factors that affect the level of ultraviolet protection provided by a fabric and the UPF rating. In order of importance these are: weave (tighter is better), color (darker is better), weight (also called mass or cover factor - heavier is better), stretch (less is better) and wetness (dry is better). The other major factor that affects protection is the addition of chemicals such as UV absorbers or UV diffusers during the manufacturing process. Many factors that make a garment comfortable also make it less protective – the major design challenge for sun protective clothing is how to combine comfort, style and protection in the one garment.

We conduct an initial UV transmittance test, then launder the garment 40 times, expose it to 100 fading units of simulated sunlight, then conduct a second UV transmittance test. The tests measure transmittance across both the UVA and UVB spectrum. Garment ratings are based on the lower result of the initial "brand new" test and the second "life cycle" test. Most fabrics lose some level of UV protection as they age, so most fabrics are rated based on their second test.

Hope that helps with some of your questions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts