T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer who wants me to print on 100% poly mesh jerseys....I have never printed on this material before and I have a few questions.

1. when printing how do you keep the ink from going thru the holes and getting onto the platen then onto the next shirt?

2. do I need waterbased ink or will a poly plastisol ink work?

any and all tips or suggetions are always appreciated.

Inked

· Registered
875 Posts
Depending how big the holes are determines what to do. I print a lot of hockey jerseys. The mesh on those is small enough to just print as normal. Since it's usually about 20 or so pieces, you only have a little buildup on the pallet.

More open mesh needs more attention. Some people put a piece of transfer paper on the pallet, print as normal, flash and then peel out the paper from inside the shirt. That will leave the mesh holes pretty clean. I've used old vellum positives in the same way and works just fine.

Don't use w/b. Dark poly shirts need a low bleed poly. Light colors use reg plastisol.

· Registered
3,633 Posts
I've used newspaper (a bit of spray tack/newspaper/spray tack). But for me, taping the platens with clear packing tape and wiping down as needed (maybe 3 or 4 go arounds depending on size of mesh) has been the most efficient. And yes a poly ink particularly on darks, tight screen, thicker stencil etc.
Polys on Whites and lights also because the cure temperature is generally lower lessening the likelihood of ruining the garment like lighter weight mini mesh.

· Registered
1,178 Posts
Sorry to open this thread again, but I have a question on this topic.

When Mac said people put a piece of transfer paper in between the fabric and the pallet, do you replace the paper every few jerseys, or is it just a "call" when to replace the paper. And I am also assuming you can just send the transfer through a dryer and reuse the paper?

· Registered
769 Posts
We've done the newspaper and copy paper route. Problem is that they would rip and not always come off w/o making a mess. We use capillary film and save the backing sheets. We use this when printing mesh jerseys instead of paper...never tears...comes off clean. Seems to me that covering the platen w/ packing tape and wiping off excess would work but is too time consuming.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.