T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just finished designing our custom apparel site geared towards the Phoenix market. We are looking for reviews, comments, and suggestions. Feel free to be honest. Thank you in advnace. Follow the link below to view the site.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Reckless T-shirts - FAQ's said:
For most orders, the creation of your custom design/art is part of our service. Whether you have a pre-existing design or just an idea, our graphics team will deliver creative options for your project. In some cases, there may be a small fee for complex custom design.
Have you been doing this already? You are going to have people walking all over you, doing 10 changes to a design and still expecting it to be printed by the same deadline they set originally. Recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi Mike. First off I'd lose the unpaid vacancy you are advertising. It makes you sound like 'freeloaders' rather than a legitimate enterprise. Post the vacancies up in local schools, not on your site.

Your charitable donations are admirable, but they really don't belong on your home page. It is a business site after all. Your focus should be on selling products. That's what customers come there for.

I couldn't see any indication of prices on your web site. If all you have is a 'call us for a quote tag', then people may as well look in their local directory. I don't deal with online businesses unless their prices are clearly on view. I want to ensure that I pay the same price as everyone else does. Most of your intended customers will want this transparency too.

Your order process doesn't mention what payments you take, so people would be unlikely to proceed with giving details, on that basis alone.

It's not a 'bash Mike' day, but these are serious issues you need to address.

Hope all this helps you out.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cont... wont make 10+ changes, but some do. Honestly, I'm happy to do it if it keeps them coming back. It really doesn't take that long.

In terms of the internship posting, you are probably right. I didn't see the harm, but maybe I'm wrong.

As for the charities, do you think I should just make it a botton footer link instead of the big one? I still want it to be present on the site.

When it comes to pricing, I don't like to post it because it is never what is stated. For example, you see site that post "Tees as low as $3.98!" This may be true, IF you order 300+ on white shirts with only one color. You aren't going to get that price anyway. How can I post the prices if they will not be accurate?The truth is, each order IS different.

I do agree that our payment methods should be listed though. That I just forgot. Big error, I must admit.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi Mike. I am sure that promoting the vacancy around local schools will get you the appropriate candidiate far more quickly. I always see adverts for staff on sales pages, as someone having left, rather than expansion. Maybe it's getting lost in the international translation, but people get 'interned' in Europe for doing something wrong. :) They end up detained in internment camps.

The charity link at the bottom is a far better idea. It's too 'in your face' at its current location.

I don't really feel that people are hoodwinked into 'bargain' prices too much. It only works is people actually want 300 white shirts. A couple of example prices wouldn't go amiss. The special offer of 'get twelve tees this month, pay only for ten' and a quoted price would certainly stimulate some interest. As it stands now though, you are the dearest supplier on the whole Internet. Why do I assume that? You don't have any indication of your prices. :)

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I also think having pricing on the website is a bad idea, because everything you do is custom - custom quantities, custom graphics, etc. You won't be able to price it until you see the graphic. If you have prices on the site and someone sends you a really complex job, you'll have to charge them more than what was posted on the site and they won't be happy. Or, if you make your price too high to compensate for those complex jobs, your price will not be competitive for simple jobs. There is no one-size-fits-all pricing for this industry. If you're worried about it, include a page that explains why your pricing is not available on the internet and offer again to provide a free quote with a quick phone call or email.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will: an internship in the states is a bit different. It is simply an unpaid job that college students do to get their foot in the door. Nothing negative about it! That's funny though... I also think I will move the charity link. It probably shouldn't be on the main page.

Jasonda: I still agree with you that pricing shouldn't be listed for the exact reasons you listed!

As for this quote, "If you're worried about it, include a page that explains why your pricing is not available on the internet and offer again to provide a free quote with a quick phone call or email," THAT IS A GREAT IDEA! I think it would clear up confusion/uncertainty and would promote a phone call.

On a separate note, do you guys like the overall look of the site? Does it look/sound professional?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I like the overall look, I think you may have too many colours going on though .. you should think about trimming it down a bit.

Also on your "About Us" page, the single bio makes it look like you're running a one-man show. If you are, don't put a bio up.. because people don't want to trust their printing job to just one guy. If you do have other staff, put some info about them on there as well, it helps to build trust and makes people feel like they are familiar with your company before they call.

Also I looked at your "Start Your Order" page and I have to say that you're being a little "reckless" by doing design work without taking a deposit. What's to stop someone taking your design to another company without paying you a cent? It does happen.

I would change to a system something along the lines of:

Quote given, changed if necessary. If they have their own graphics, take a look before giving the proof. If you are doing graphic work for them, you should estimate based on the description and charge X amt per hour.

Quote accepted, signed for (via fax) and credit card charged for deposit. IF the quote ends up being more than you originally quoted because of changes to qty or extra design work, you simply need to inform the customer before you continue with the changes.

Design created, proof made. If they keep making changes and do multiple proofs, you need to start charging for proofs.

Proof approved by customer (via email or fax only.. not verbal) and no changes after this point.

Production begins on order.

Production finished, shipping cost added to order, and final amt charged to CC before shipping.

Now this system might seem a bit harsh to you, compared to your current system, but it is fair to both you and the customer. Right now your system is unbalanced and too much in favor of the customer, which means you will lose money on jobs. You will also end up with very frustrated employees because the system creates more stress and burden on them (they can't say "no" to demanding customers or people who monopolize their time).

The system I described above was used at my old job (at a sign company, very similar production process to screen printing) and it worked great, the company was extremely successful and almost all the jobs were from repeat customers, and the customers always got great service. Sometimes giving good customer service means setting parameters and rules, rather than letting people get whatever they want and losing money (and going out of business!) because you were too flexible.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi! I think the website looks good -it's clear,And looking on it I could say right away that you sell custom shirts. But I also like to now prices when I check websites.Maybe you could say approximetly how much you charge for small logo and how much for something complicated and how it goes with quantities?
I 'm not expert :) But as a customer i like to now prices ...
And I think I found one mistake in word :Hooies -isn't it : hoodies? its in this place :Reckless T-shirts - Start Your Order
Anyway, good luck. I'm building my website now,and I know it's not so easy :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jasonda, we currently do it very close to what you said above. I do take a look at their art (or assess new art charges) and figure that into the quote based on time it will take. Unless I know for sure that they will use me, I do not send them art of any kind.

I think I may have stated it incorrectly in the "step1, step2, step3" box.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys. I made the appropriate changes and think it is much better. Thank you! The only thing still not changed is the pricing on the website. I decided that I am going to make a quote generator where a customer can enter in their criteria (shirt color, qty., # of colors, etc.) and an estimated payment will appear. It is fairly simple php and I think this will solve many of the problems you all mentioned above. Sound good?

·
Registered
138 Posts
We just finished designing our custom apparel site geared towards the Phoenix market. We are looking for reviews, comments, and suggestions. Feel free to be honest. Thank you in advnace. Follow the link below to view the site.
Hello

I would increase the image area for the t-shirt part. (Where you are showing your T-shirts). This area could be enlarge by pushing it down.

Your navigation buttons are too big. By making them a little smaller, your website will look more elegant.

I would use a different color than red. The red is not pleasing to the eye.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi Mike. Charity link is now in a far more appropriate location. You could probably do the same with your 'intern' vacancy as it is currently taking up prime space on your home page.

I see that you have also clearly stated the payments you accept as well.

Starting to look the business now though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
. ...The only thing still not changed is the pricing on the website. I decided that I am going to make a quote generator where a customer can enter in their criteria (shirt color, qty., # of colors, etc.) and an estimated payment will appear. It is fairly simple php and I think this will solve many of the problems you all mentioned above. Sound good?
If you do that you should admit that the price is approximate.And still have that:"call for an exact price" think.
You can also put the prices into some kind of table.
The previously made shirts as an example for the price sounds good too, whatever works for you,but the quote generator may be easier for the customers.
Or go without prices if it works for you :)

·
Registered
42 Posts

my 2 cents ...tell your web site visitors what u are selling in the 1st page with big words ..

ask the visitors to find out the answer in the FAQ is NOT an good idea ...:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts