T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Looks pretty good overall, don't have time to go into an in-depth review at the moment... first thing I noticed was that you've got a horizontal scrollbar for people on 800x600 resolution; you should fix that since probably a good 30% of potential customers are sitll using this resolution.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
your "I have a attitude problem" is inpropper grammer. should be "I have an attitude problem"...unless you're going for the incorrect grammer thing? Otherwise, your site looks pretty good overall. I would probably showcase some of your popular designs on the homepage. And also I would ditch the google ads...they make you look unprofessional (you should be making money by selling t-shirts...not ads) ;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hex Angel said:
Hmmm, anyone else have feelings/recommendations regarding Adsense and adlinks appearing on commerce sites?
I don't really think it looks unprofessional at all. At least it's not big banners or pop-ups. What's the crime in making a few dollars off of ad placement on your site?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More on placing google ads on retail websites. From Amazon.com, which uses them as a revenue source:
SPONSORED LINKS
Sponsored Links are advertisements that Amazon.com provides to you. We receive Sponsored Links from Google's AdWords service. When you click on a Sponsored Link, we get revenue. The selection of Sponsored Links that are displayed is based on keywords. For example, if you search for "Bruce Springsteen" or view pages about Bruce Springsteen, the Sponsored Links may point to sites that sell tickets to his concerts or provide information about him. Sponsored Links are always clearly labeled.

Generating additional revenue from Sponsored Links allows us to offer lower prices to you--something we are dedicated to doing every way we can.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Personally I still agree with earlier posters that it's unprofessional on a commerce site. When Amazon started doing it I just thought it was another sign of their slow but sure decline over the last five years. They've been weakening their brand to the point that it's soon going to be meaningless, and that's not something anyone would want to emulate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It did surprise me to see google ads on amazon.

On the other hand, collectively my sites are earning in excess of $100/month via AdWords. The lion's share of that, about 50%, comes via a travel photography gallery that also feeds one of my cafepress stores. Critical Graphics earns about 5% of the total ad revenue, however, it has the highest clickthru ratio of any of my sites (it just needs to get more visitors).

I'm of two minds.

1. I like the additional revenue, and visitors appear to benefit from the 'service'. I look upon it as if it were affiliate revenue.

2. The ads, unsurprisingly, appear to erode total traffic on most sites, though not all. (If they're clicking on an ad, they probably didn't want to be here anyway.) The ads are very often not as targetted as I'd like. (Probably an indication that my SEO needs some work.) Also, I haven't quite designed templates which will make the ads less unappealing visually. (I'll try toning down the border, or removing it completely.)

It surprises me a bit, actually, that it's the google ads that strike some folks as unprofessional. I'd have thought the overly wide selection of products would have bugged people more. Mousepads? Clocks? Cheap baseball caps? Come fall I'll re-evaluate products and probably cut back to stickers, shirts, buttons and, perhaps, posters. Critical Graphics customers rarely buy anything else.

Cheers,

p.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Interesting. Its always a trade-off; you just have to balance if the revenue from the ads makes up for the potential loss of customers from the site looking unprofessional. It really depends on how the ads are implemented if I care about them, personally. A few off one sidebar isn't usually a big deal, but if they're plastered on top, on the sides, and inside the text body that's pretty annoying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts