T-Shirt Forums banner

Please recommend an Ink Remover

6K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  Sms321 
#1 ·
I bought one of those Ink/Emulsion removers recently from Victory and it didn't work at all! I used to use a Bean-a-Do product which do an ok job but not great. Is there a REAL GOOD Plastisol Ink remover out there to use to clean up my screens before reclaiming? Thank you for any help.

#7 ·
The most effective cleaners are also the nastiest. MEK, or methyl ethyl ketone is extremely effective as a press wash, and also extremely effective for damaging brain cells.

Personally, I think of the low-VOC offerings like the TS series from CCI, and stuff like Plastisolve 842 from Easiway to be the best balance between value, effectiveness, and health effects.

edit: Although I should try footprints suggestion--I like their stuff.

#11 ·
I was actually considering this, the video they show on Ryonet looks pretty Impressive. Do you dilute this with water at all?

On a side note, I wish Ryonet sold their screens cheaper as It would be a one stop shop for me. GM is still super solid on their screen prices and shipping time.

#12 ·
My first question for you would be whether you are looking for an on-press cleaner (an ink remover that evaporates and does not require water to rinse the ink away) or a screen wash (an ink remover that is designed to be rinsed away with water in a washout sink). At this point you will have two much different products to look into. Best of luck finding something that works great for you and makes the job easier.

#14 ·
Ok, well I guess I am going to have to go with the Chromaline 920 because I wouldn't get my order from Ryonet till early next week where as If I order from GM which carries the Chromaline I will receive it In one day because I am In Illinois and they are In Michigan. Can't wait till next week, need to start reclaiming a.s.a.p. Hope this stuff works well, they only sell by the Gallon.

#28 ·
Ok, used the Citrapaste on 3 older screens that had a little Plastisol Ink sitting inside the edges of the squeegee side of the screens and while it did ok it wasn't as "effortless" as I thought it would be. Wherever the tape was on the screen (before i peeled it off of course) that ink was pretty tough to get out.

Also, while the smell is a Citrus smell it is VERY over powering if the room Is not well ventilated. I had to wear a mask and get some fresh air a couple times as i almost became sick because of it.

#29 ·
Ok, used the Citrapaste on 3 older screens that had a little Plastisol Ink sitting inside the edges of the squeegee side of the screens and while it did ok it wasn't as "effortless" as I thought it would be. Wherever the tape was on the screen (before i peeled it off of course) that ink was pretty tough to get out.

Also, while the smell is a Citrus smell it is VERY over powering if the room Is not well ventilated. I had to wear a mask and get some fresh air a couple times as i almost became sick because of it.

yeah well i dont let my screens just sit with ink in them for that very reason. and it is odd that you had to wear a mask cause i love the smell of it...lol...i guess it just depends on the person cause my wife says it is a little strong for her but she also says that when i cure shirts as well...

#33 ·
For catalog screens I use plastisolv 842...it doesn't set in stains like mineral spirits and smells like juicy fruit gum...........mmmmmmmmmm

I also like to use the EasiStrip SUPRA in my tank as it doesnt die in my tank if I only clean a few screens. Already has a degreaser too!!! Great stuff been using it for years

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.