T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. New to this heat press thing still.. Trying to test products to make sure our quality is good. But we are having a hard time finding shirt options from the companies we want to work with (ethically sourced etc.) that don't scorch.

We are using Easyweed Stretch for this project. It can be applied down to 280 deg, I was told by the company, but would end up needing 25 seconds for a press.

We are mostly trying to get dark colours, a dark dark grey most likely. We originally wanted to use Jerico Bamboo (70% Rayon, 30% cotton). Found that it was discolouring in the heat press. Wash and dry seemed to get rid of it, but that's not practical, and want to sell new shirts. Now we have Bell+Canvas 3001 in black heather (90% cotton, 10% poly) and it's a lot better, but still has some discolouring.

After getting a laser thermometer I found that the press is showing 15 degrees higher than it's set, assuming the thermometer is accurate. So I set the press to 265, thermometer reading of 279.5, and pressed for 25 seconds, medium pressure, with a teflon sheet between. The attached photo is the result. The line is pretty faint, about 3/4 off the way up the image. (I pressed the bottom of the shirt not the top).

We have tested a black pure cotton shirt, and that was perfectly fine, no discolouring. So, I'm not sure, is this something you just live with for using any mixed fabric shirts? We could get Bella+Canvas 3001 shirts that are pure cotton, but I can't get an answer if they are pre-shrunk or not. But we'd prefer to sort out what is causing this problem before changing from our preferred colours and options.

Jerico suggested I use their 50/50 cotton/poly shirt, as it's durable. So it is on order for me to try them and see if we have better luck. But they will shrink 2-3%. The Jerico pure cotton shirts would be an option too, but they shrink 4-5%.

Can anyone offer any guidance? Thanks!

Attachments

· Registered
21 Posts
What I've found is you have to experiment, which could essentially waste garments. I've had success lowering temperatures and upping the time on polyester shirts. Also, I use a pillow. Almost all transfers I've used say "do not use a pillow or teflon sheet" but I've had the most success when I've used it.

I am also recording all tests in a spreadsheet, whether I get a mark or not including the shirt brand and model number. Hope this helps a bit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.