T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, everyone this is my first post as i decided to join the forum as i cant find an answer for this anywhere!

Iv'e tried lots of stuff such as doubling up backing material, changing digitising, using no adhesive to attach backing, using allot of adhesive to attach backing. nothing seems to work. oh and ive tried adjusting the actual bobbin tension with the screw in the case.
ive managed to minimise the puckering around the edges of the embroidery, but upon close inspection it is still noticeable in some areas.

its worth mentioning that i do digitize my own designs with inkstitch, and i also use 40g cutaway backing.

this problem is so frustrating and its starting to put me off using my machine !! any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
hello, everyone this is my first post as i decided to join the forum as i cant find an answer for this anywhere!

Iv'e tried lots of stuff such as doubling up backing material, changing digitising, using no adhesive to attach backing, using allot of adhesive to attach backing. nothing seems to work. oh and ive tried adjusting the actual bobbin tension with the screw in the case.
ive managed to minimise the puckering around the edges of the embroidery, but upon close inspection it is still noticeable in some areas.

its worth mentioning that i do digitize my own designs with inkstitch, and i also use 40g cutaway backing.

this problem is so frustrating and its starting to put me off using my machine !! any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!!
It is important to post the scan sew out on the back and front so that we can analyse the causes.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
its worth mentioning that i do digitize my own designs with inkstitch
I use it too, and works great.

and i also use 40g cutaway backing.
This may not be enough.
I'm not an expert in embroidery and I have the brute force approach of keep adding stabilizer until it works.
The way I see it, pretty much any fabric can be embroidered if you stiffen it enough.
Two layers of iron on backing plus one or two layers of cutaway will probably do the job.
I know it seems excessive but it does work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use it too, and works great.

This may not be enough.
I'm not an expert in embroidery and I have the brute force approach of keep adding stabilizer until it works.
The way I see it, pretty much any fabric can be embroidered if you stiffen it enough.
Two layers of iron on backing plus one or two layers of cutaway will probably do the job.
I know it seems excessive but it does work.
hi thanks for your advice, I have tried doubling up the backing material and it does yield slightly better results but still puckers a little. also doubling up backing isn't as cost effective and it doesn't leave as clean a look from inside so i think there might be something wrong elsewhere along the line.
thanks

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
also doubling up backing isn't as cost effective and it doesn't leave as clean a look from inside
You only have to stiffen the area around the design, so it doesn't cost much.
Here is how it works:
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Circle

1. Two pieces of iron-on backing.
2. One piece of cutaway stabilizer and an additional piece of iron-on backing (optional).
This second part is optional, but will help in extreme cases.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Exactly what I thought.
Apply one or two layers of iron-on backing on the fabric before embroidering it, and the problem will go away.
I was actually going to make another post enquiring about backing in the near future. so what type of backing would you recommend for use on t shirts and hoodies? ideally I want minimal backing material leftover after embroidery, tear away sounds perfect but apparently doesn't give the best results.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
so what type of backing would you recommend for use on t shirts and hoodies?
For hoodies using the smallest hoop possible with one piece of stabilizer will do the job.
This can also save you money as less stabilizer is needed.

For thin fabrics the above is often not enough, so you need to stiffen the fabric.
I found a video using more or less the same technique I use.
I use cutting dies to make my backing patches as described in my previous post, and only use one sheet of stabilizer for the hoop.
Like I said in my previous post, this method has minimal additional cost and optional layers are in most cases not necessary.
Also ensure the fabric is not slipping from the hoop. If it does, using double sided tape is one way to fix it.

·
Registered
9,718 Posts
That is pretty bad. What needles are you using, ball point or sharps? what size? what is your stitch density?

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would suggest that you should lower down a tad in density of the stitches. Around 10-15%. This won't show any significant change in the look of the design.
And then follow instructions on the backing and framing the garment from above.
Hi there I'm using inkstitch to digitize.
How would I go about by dropping the density? There is no 'density' slider or anything. The only way I'm aware of to lower the density is to increase the distance between peaks. Currently set to around 0.3mm I think. So how would I do this?

Also particularly on the corners there are some gaps in the zig zag stitching showing a little bit of t shirt material through. How do I fix this? Thanks

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
The only way I'm aware of to lower the density is to increase the distance between peaks. Currently set to around 0.3mm I think. So how would I do this?
This is the way.
Try 0.35mm or 0.4mm.
Also don't forget the contour underlay.

Also particularly on the corners there are some gaps in the zig zag stitching showing a little bit of t shirt material through. How do I fix this? Thanks
Try the zig-zag underlay with 1mm peak-to peak

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi there I'm using inkstitch to digitize.
How would I go about by dropping the density? There is no 'density' slider or anything. The only way I'm aware of to lower the density is to increase the distance between peaks. Currently set to around 0.3mm I think. So how would I do this?

I have not touched the program but looking at the link above I think it’s call spacing between rows.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts