T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:confused:
I have been reading the forum for over a year now!!! I have finally decided to dive in!! I am so confused on which printer I need to purchase and who has the best cis system!!! Trust me I have looked over other threads but I am lost!!!! Please help a newbie out or send me the correct thread!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hello SunShine,

Don't fret too much...we welcome all questions.

As for a CIS system, what are your intents on using it? This will help direct the best possible solution.

Unfortunately, as many have experienced, most CIS systems do not use OEM inks; therefore, it is difficult to find the perfect solution.

Although OEM inks seem to work best on a testing basis, there are a few CIS ink suppliers that work.

Let us all know what you are trying accomplish and maybe we can help direct to the best solution.

Regards,
Mike

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Hi Sunshine...

In addition to Mike's help, I'd like to add for you one way to help narrow the field of choices is to ask yourself what size designs do you plan to print?

If you only plan to print 8.5x11", then you don't need a wide format printer, and that will help narrow your selections. The reverse is true as well. If you need wide format, a few printer options are eliminated.

Are you looking at only CIS's, or are you also considering refill cart systems? For those who don't print daily, or print lower volumes, they sometimes choose the re-fill carts as opposed to the CIS systems. It is felt the re-fill carts have less clogging issues than CIS, CIS tend to clog if not printed with everyday. I don't have one, but just like you, I've been reading on these for a long time, deciding the same thing. You've probably read all about the diff with re-fill carts and CIS.

I think once you decide what size prints you want to produce, you can pick a printer from there. The C120 is 8.5x11 and the re-furbs are $31.20 with free shipping on epson.com. The 1400 is a wide format printer, up to 13x19, prints onto dvd/cd's and the refurbs are $143.20 with free shipping on epson.com. Here's a link:
Clearance Epson Ink Jet Printers - Epson Clearance Center - Epson America, Inc.

Once you pick the printer, you can research the CIS (or re-fill carts) that others here use, and what they are very happy with. Different systems work well with the different printers. Folks here are happy to share what they use and like. You can even choose the printer and search your printer model and cis. Like "c120 bulk ink" or "c120 CIS". There are some combinations that don't seem to work out well. Did you see the threads where folks seemed to always have issues with 1280's and the Magic Mix ink? Just from the amount of times folks complained, I'd stay away from that combination.

I have ordered the refurbs and haven't had any issues with them at all, but the printers do go on sale at retail store like Circuit City, Best Buy, Target (had the scanner/printer last week for $29).

Note: if you want an all-in-one printer, make sure there is a re-fill cart or bulk system on the market before you buy it. I did that already, bought a cx8400 only to find out no bulk system was available. Back it went, and I got the c88+. :) Best wishes to you. :)

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
just to add a note...I would buy the printer AND the CIS from the same supplier...then you only have on place to deal with in support issues

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Charles, is there a possibility of issues with compatibility when buying the ink and system seperately? Could you explain that to me again? Thanks so much. (Not sure if I am remembering that right, it was a while ago. I've kept that in my head, but can't remember the specifics on it.)

Thanks a million! :)

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Kelly...not so much a compatibility problem...although that is certainly possible. but if there any issue with printing or setting up and you have purchased from separate companies. there seems to be finger pointing with neither company willing to get to the bottom...but if all from the same company, you only have one place to call and they are more familiar with both ink and systems...more likely to get up and running quicker and easier along with better tech support....or so it seemed to me

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Thanks so much, Charles. That is an excellent point, and I can definitely see the advantage of having that one person committing to helping you, as it seems installation is the hardest part when dealing with these systems. Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
4,766 Posts

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Hello SunShine,

Don't fret too much...we welcome all questions.

As for a CIS system, what are your intents on using it? This will help direct the best possible solution.

Unfortunately, as many have experienced, most CIS systems do not use OEM inks; therefore, it is difficult to find the perfect solution.

Although OEM inks seem to work best on a testing basis, there are a few CIS ink suppliers that work.

Let us all know what you are trying accomplish and maybe we can help direct to the best solution.

Regards,
Mike
Not true. I used a cis system that I got from Coastal for over 2 years with a c88. Coastal stopped selling as printers changed to rapidly. Now I use a CIS systrem with my c120 and about to add a cis to my c88+ that I got from Inkrepublic.. Lou

·
Registered
126 Posts
the 1280 comes with pigment inks
According to Epson, it says:

Epson Stylus Photo 1400 Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Ink Claria Hi-Definition UltraChrome Hi-Gloss Colors 6 8 Durability Water-resistant dye Water-proof pigment

So, which is it? lol.

Clarias are the water resistant Claria pigments? Should work very well for the transfer papers on JPSS?

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Lou....I think you are correct....when I got my 1280's I tossed the ink as I was using them for sublimation. I guess I had my foot in mouth and blocked my eye teeth and I could not see what I was saying!!...pardon me while I go stand the the corner for a 15 min time out

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
According to Epson, it says:

Epson Stylus Photo 1400 Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Ink Claria Hi-Definition UltraChrome Hi-Gloss Colors 6 8 Durability Water-resistant dye Water-proof pigment

So, which is it? lol.

Clarias are the water resistant Claria pigments? Should work very well for the transfer papers on JPSS?

The 1400 comes with Claria Hi-Def water resistant ink, and the 1280 was photographic dye like Lou mentioned. These printers come with two different kinds of inks.

Only JPSS paper has shown any colorfastness with dye ink, Joseph. For all other papers, you must use pigment ink (like Durabrite or UltraChrome).

Claria has shown to be colorfast in wash tests on a variety of papers, but not all papers have been tested.

You must be careful what you use anytime you decide not to use pigment. Pigment ink is a no brainer because there are no rules (other than Durabrite can color shift under the heat of the press, and you must pull the yellow down in the color settings in printer preferences.)

JPSS= colorfast with pigment, Claria and dyes.
Claria= colorfast with a variety of papers that have been tested. As more people use more papers with this ink, the list may grow, as well as folks comfort level with the ink.
Pigment ink=used with all papers and is colorfast (but Ironall paper for lights has fading issues sometimes).

These are general - as I have had fading with pigment ink, but I was using Ironall light. But others have had odd experiences with just about every product we all use. I never get cracking with JPSS, but some one else will, while actually *most* of us don't. (That actually happens bc of the way folks do their pressing, I think, but still, it's a variation from normal. It happens sometimes.)

Just make sure you don't try to use dye ink on JetWear or Ironall, etc, only JPSS can stand up to that, and if you use Claria, test you paper, find out if it is colorfast before you order anything in bulk. That's all. Just make sure you are combining the right products for success. :)

If you do a search for "wash test", you'll return so many threads with folks experiences and usually pictures of what they have found during their testing. :)

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Yes (and no :p). Joseph, you seem to ask the tough questions. :)

Pigment will work great with JPSS = Yes.

Ironall? I have used Durabrite with Ironall and had fading. Sometimes terrible fading, sometimes just blotchy fading, sometimes a little fading.

This was before JPSS was on the market. Ironall was the best there was for soft hand and stretching with the shirt. It is a wonderful paper, outside of the fade issues.

I tested many shirts, 6 or so brands, the 100 cottons and 5050 blends. I saw all kinds of different issues, from small to terrible problems. There was a winner tho, and that was the Jerzees HW 50/50 (29b). It did not fade with Ironall.

So the long and short answer is = you can still see fading with Ironall and Durabrite, but not if you find the right shirt that will not fade - for me, it was the Jerzees 29.

The ink makes a difference.
The paper makes a difference.
The shirt makes a difference.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you so much for your response!!! i want to be able to print out company logos and wording and some pictures to start out with.. Up to a 11x17 pictures.. Are there any printers that come equipped ready for tee-shirt press? (don’t laugh)!!! Badalou I have watch all of your videos what is your set up?????

1 - 20 of 23 Posts