T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to create black and white line art to be printed on the full front of mens, womens and boys T-shirts.

I know nothing about getting prints onto a t-shirt.

Can someone tell me how big the oringinal artwork needs to be?

What should the resolution be?

I do work in freehand but I'm slowly learning how to use CS3. Do I have to save my work in a JPEG form?

What do T-shirt companies want to work with?

I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP!
THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Usually printers want the res to be 300dpi or higher. I prefer sending tiff files since there can be some altering of the image when sending the jpeg, most printers are cool with tiff format. The artwork size really depends on how big you want it on the shirt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I appreciate the feed back.

Are you suggesting that I cant blow up a drawing to fit on a shirt to appear crisp and sharp?

Tim

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
To size artwork up without loosing anything you need to save as a vector, that way it can be adjusted but will always be the same. A jpeg is basically just a picture, when you increase the size it won't be as sharp.

Lee

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I want to create black and white line art to be printed on the full front of mens, womens and boys T-shirts.

I know nothing about getting prints onto a t-shirt.

Can someone tell me how big the oringinal artwork needs to be?

What should the resolution be?

I do work in freehand but I'm slowly learning how to use CS3. Do I have to save my work in a JPEG form?

What do T-shirt companies want to work with?

I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP!
THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!
Can you post a sample of your work?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you!

One more thing...Are you saying that I should save it as a vector and not a tiff. I get the two confused. I'm still learning.

·
Registered
332 Posts
You will have to draw it as a vector. If you are using photoshop that is a raster based prog. In that case your best bet would to draw it at the size it will be printing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you! ..... Okay, I will follow your advise.
I hope it will reduce well when I print on a kids shirt.
Tim

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well now remember, if you draw it in a raster prog(photoshop) it will tear the image up some when you reduce it. If drawn in a vector prog (illustrator) your image will remain smooth when reduced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm using illustrator so I'll do it in a vector. Can I then save it as a tiff?
Thanks so much!
Tim

·
Registered
332 Posts
No, what you then next will have to do is find a printer. Ask him/her what files types they can use. Most printers also use ai/eps files so you should be able to save as an illustrator file, no problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts