T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to all this. I have an embroidery business but want to add a new side - such as t shirt printing. I just want to start small for now but obviously want a technique with decent quality but something I can do from home without buying too many pieces of equipment. Is there a technique where I can start with my own PC, either my printer or get an Epson that I am reading about, get a heat press, get some transfer paper, print the design in my own printer and heat press it on the t shirt? Again, with decent quality. If so, is this called Heat transfer, or is it with vinyl or what? If you all feel there is a way can you tell me what kind of printer, what kind of ink, what kind of paper, what software for a PC, and then a heat press recommendation please? and any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks so much! kelly

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
If I may make a suggestion, you'll be way ahead of the game and make more money if you form a relationship with someone who prints shirts but doesn't do embroidery. Sell each other your work low enough to mark up. Then you each can focus on what you know best while also acting as a salesperson for the other.

To answer your question, what you describe is often sold as digital printing or digital transfers. You buy one of the recommended papers such as JPSS, print on it with one of the recommended printers, like an Epson C120, and press it on the shirt with one of the recommended presses (Hix, Hotronix/Phoenix, Mighty) There are literally hundreds of threads that describe the process and answer your questions. What I suggest is that after reading some, ask more specific questions that are more easily answered.

You can also heat press shirts with vinyl or plastisol transfers. Someone was working on a chart that detailed the pros and cons of each process but I'm afraid I didn't bookmark it.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts

Guys, just a heads up, be careful with that chart, it is incomplete and inaccurate in it's current state. Qriz was allowed to work on it at work, but his boss changed his mind on that, and that leaves him much less time to work on it apparently.

A quick review of the chart from those who know the answers will tell you that some of the information is misleading or flat out incorrect.

Under heat press inkjet/laser, for example, under what kind of tee shirts can you print on, the answer is: All Fabric Types. We know this is not true.

In Qriz's first post he said he is a beginner, and he was looking for help to fix the chart and complete it. The fixing part hasn't happened yet. Too bad, because that chart is a great concept and would be a wonderful tool if corrected and completed.

Just a heads up on that. The chart could be detrimental to Kelly's education process. :)

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
I am very new to all this. I have an embroidery business but want to add a new side - such as t shirt printing. I just want to start small for now but obviously want a technique with decent quality but something I can do from home without buying too many pieces of equipment. Is there a technique where I can start with my own PC, either my printer or get an Epson that I am reading about, get a heat press, get some transfer paper, print the design in my own printer and heat press it on the t shirt? Again, with decent quality. If so, is this called Heat transfer, or is it with vinyl or what? If you all feel there is a way can you tell me what kind of printer, what kind of ink, what kind of paper, what software for a PC, and then a heat press recommendation please? and any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks so much! kelly
Hi Kelly. :) Did you read the thread I sent you on the different printing methods? There is a link in there as well to the thread about the Pros and Cons on the different printing methods. That is another great thread.

Did you watch the YouTube video on weeding that I sent you? (Did the link work?)

Also, did you look up vinyl tutorials on YouTube like I suggested? I promise you, they are great. You will see what vinyl looks like, how it is cut on the cutter, what the cutter looks like, how it is weeded, and they will show you the actual pressing of the vinyl to a shirt. I learned so much about what vinyl is and what the process is on youtube.

If you look up Badalou, a member on the forum here, on YouTube, Lou's has made over 25 training videos and posted them on YouTube. Some are on inkjet heat transfer, some work with plastisol, and more. You will be able to see the entire process from start to finish with Lou. He explains the process as he goes along.

I hope these things help you begin your journey into learning about the different print methods. You seem very interested in inkjet heat transfers (the ones you print with an epson and press to a cotton or cotton blend shirt) and vinyl (material on a roll) that you send thru a cutter (which is a machine that is like an automated exacto knife.)

The YouTube videos will really help, without a doubt. I learn better by seeing. If you watch a few vids... you'll have a way better understanding and you'll be able to move forward and get closer to the "doing" part of the process rather then the "researching" part. Good luck to you. :)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Guys, just a heads up, be careful with that chart, it is incomplete and inaccurate in it's current state. Qriz was allowed to work on it at work, but his boss changed his mind on that, and that leaves him much less time to work on it apparently.

A quick review of the chart from those who know the answers will tell you that some of the information is misleading or flat out incorrect.

Just a heads up on that. The chart could be detrimental to Kelly's education process. :)
OOOOPS. That's what I get for not even looking at the chart. :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts